Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I bring my lunch in my backpack for an all day sit.
The night before I had sat in a clear-cut full of ridges and valleys, saplings probably 10' tall. I see nothing except a small section they left uncut on the face of a swamp that connects to blocks of woods. Figure well its likely got stands but I don't worry myself much with that on a weekday/morning hunt. I use a saddle so everything I use is in my backpack.
Daylight comes and I was right, 20 yards from another stand. I stay there until noon, seen 3 doe but none worthy of a tag. I get down and move on foot to another area for the evening hunt. I'm up in the new tree by 1:30, see nothing but turkeys. So I'm 3/4 of a Mike from my vehicle and it takes a minute to pack up 5 climbing sticks and all my gear. Get back to the truck and there is a guy in his truck waiting for me. Thinking he is gonna ask me if I was seeing anything, nope. His first words are "did you get what you shot at last night in the dark"? I'm a bit thrown back by the question and asked him WTF are you talking about?
The guy repeatedly keeps telling me this, now this guy is pissing me off. Then he tells me I shot his stand, repeatedly saying I'm the one who shot his stand. At this point my gun hasn't even been off safety. I'm trying to keep my cool, but now I definitely don't like this guy. I stand my ground and keep telling this idiot he is talking to the wrong person. I would never mess with anyone's stuff, never have, never will. I despise people who do. Been a public land hunter my whole life and switched to a climber and then saddle because I've had too much stuff stolen. On my walk to the evening sit I walked through the narrow woods to look for sign, seen 2 more of his set ups. After thinking about it last night I figure that it's likely he made those accusations in order to run me out of his area. Brother, I am afraid of no man and if you are not there and I want to be I'm going without hesitation. I pay my taxes bruh. While I will not sit in another man's stand, no one gets to lay claim to an area on public land. In almost 40 years of hunting I've never run across a clown like this, most people are courteous and friendly. Some I think have delusions that if they hang a stand, that is now their spot.
I'm sure I will see him again because I will definitely be back to that area. Crazy times we live in for sure

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Locals are like that, couple a years ago I got confronted by a angry dude, and he claimed to be a preacher, that same weekend, same area, a jacknut came out of the woods near where my daughter and her husband went in, as he came out he was cussin up a storm, a car picked him up, he kept pointing his his gun in their direction(holding it by the receiver), and yelling to the person in the car about the people walking in HIS area, public land by the way.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Not necessarily locals, Rasher. Several years ago, a father and son due from many miles below the bridge tried to intimidate me on two different occasions a couple days apart. The first time I told them they should take a hike back to their car. The second time the father said he worked for some federal enforcement agency and threatened to call the DNR. When I responded with, "What would you like to tell me?" He apparently knew his card had been trumped. With not much else to say they left never to be seen again. Did I mention that they tried to convince me that the area they were hunting was public land even though they were a couple hundred yards onto my property. FM

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The night before I had sat in a clear-cut full of ridges and valleys, saplings probably 10' tall. I see nothing except a small section they left uncut on the face of a swamp that connects to blocks of woods. Figure well its likely got stands but I don't worry myself much with that on a weekday/morning hunt. I use a saddle so everything I use is in my backpack.
Daylight comes and I was right, 20 yards from another stand. I stay there until noon, seen 3 doe but none worthy of a tag. I get down and move on foot to another area for the evening hunt. I'm up in the new tree by 1:30, see nothing but turkeys. So I'm 3/4 of a Mike from my vehicle and it takes a minute to pack up 5 climbing sticks and all my gear. Get back to the truck and there is a guy in his truck waiting for me. Thinking he is gonna ask me if I was seeing anything, nope. His first words are "did you get what you shot at last night in the dark"? I'm a bit thrown back by the question and asked him WTF are you talking about?
The guy repeatedly keeps telling me this, now this guy is pissing me off. Then he tells me I shot his stand, repeatedly saying I'm the one who shot his stand. At this point my gun hasn't even been off safety. I'm trying to keep my cool, but now I definitely don't like this guy. I stand my ground and keep telling this idiot he is talking to the wrong person. I would never mess with anyone's stuff, never have, never will. I despise people who do. Been a public land hunter my whole life and switched to a climber and then saddle because I've had too much stuff stolen. On my walk to the evening sit I walked through the narrow woods to look for sign, seen 2 more of his set ups. After thinking about it last night I figure that it's likely he made those accusations in order to run me out of his area. Brother, I am afraid of no man and if you are not there and I want to be I'm going without hesitation. I pay my taxes bruh. While I will not sit in another man's stand, no one gets to lay claim to an area on public land. In almost 40 years of hunting I've never run across a clown like this, most people are courteous and friendly. Some I think have delusions that if they hang a stand, that is now their spot.
I'm sure I will see him again because I will definitely be back to that area. Crazy times we live in for sure

If that's the worse in 40 years consider yourself very lucky. Lol

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Have a few where people walked in on me and hunted real close to me like most of us have had but got another one that I feel bad about even though it was unintentional. Was headed to hunt another public land spot in the afternoon and all of a sudden I got the urge, you know the urge that can't wait. There were not many hunters in the woods and I was on a long dirt road that I could see about a 1/4 mile down. Didn't see any trucks parked anywhere so pulled over, bailed out and got about 30 yards off the road, dropped my pants and let her rip. Was right in the middle and I caught movement about 50 yards away and I see a guy in hunters orange who had been sitting on the opposite side of a tree stand up and look at me! Damn! I just said man I didn't see you there. He just shook his head and I don't blame him.

Did walk up on a dude laying in the middle of a logging road wearing orange who I thought was dead. Kept talking to him and turns out the dude was passed out drunk! Just hammered. Left him there.

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
I was hunting this spot on public and noticed that everyone was going deep in the woods and the deer were circling them and hanging by the road.
So there I was sitting about 30 yards off the road and I heard a guy stop and run in the woods...........

·
Registered
996 Posts
Years ago I was out for an afternoon gun season sit at a favorite spot on public off a logging road when I noticed another hunter beat me to the spot and was already sitting there. I was about to leave and move on when I heard what sounded like a large deer busting through the brush coming in towards us from the road. I looked at the other hunter to see what he was going to do when he stood up and while we both looked for what I assume we both assumed was a deer when the infamous Phantom Crapper appeared and dropped his trousers to take care of business right there in the woods, just 30 yards from the road. Now I had heard about this guy (who hasn't?) and wanted nothing to do with the scene so I slowly crept back to the road when I spotted the Crapper, who had apparently finished his deed back in the woods, quickly walking my way down the road. Dammit. I figured my only chance to avoid dealing with this nut was to lay down and play like I was drunk and passed out. The weirdo kept trying to talk to me but eventually gave up and moved on.

The crazy stuff you encounter in the woods sometimes...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Had a private land guy send a 30 round clip over my head. That’s was interesting… claimed I was on his land. I tried to be polite… I ended up ask him to stop breaking the law and ruining my hunt. He didn’t like that lol.

Mostly good experiences with other state land guys. Hell even had a guy help me drag a nice buck half a mile.

·
Registered
965 Posts

State land hunting… Take the good with the bad and always roll with the punches.

Tip 2 If guys ever get really defensive over an area you know they are trying to keep a really nice buck all to themselves.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Years ago I was out for an afternoon gun season sit at a favorite spot on public off a logging road when I noticed another hunter beat me to the spot and was already sitting there. I was about to leave and move on when I heard what sounded like a large deer busting through the brush coming in towards us from the road. I looked at the other hunter to see what he was going to do when he stood up and while we both looked at what I assume we both assumed was a deer when the infamous Phantom Crapper appeared and dropped his trousers to take care of business right there in the woods, just 30 yards from the road. Now I had heard about this guy (who hasn't?) and wanted nothing to do with the scene so I slowly crept back to the road when I spotted the Crapper, who had apparently done his deed, quickly walking my way down the road. Dammit. I figured my only chance to avoid dealing with this nut was to lay down and play like I was drunk and passed out. The weirdo kept trying to talk to me but eventually gave up and moved on.

The crazy stuff you encounter in the woods sometimes...
I am fookin crying in my stand right now, outstanding!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
State land hunting… Take the good with the bad and always roll with the punches.

Tip 2 If guys ever get really defensive over an area you know they are trying to keep a really nice buck all to themselves.
Kinda what I figured was going on with thus guy. I will be back there in muzzle loader season

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
Down staters are like that.... Come up hang some stands in September think they got the whole place to themselves when they come back....

Think deers bad hunt some of the popular outta state turkey areas.... Scratch out every track ya see.. Roost one pray to the Lord joker don't gobble before daylight....

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I know a young fella who hangs 12 to 15 stands along a two track. They are roughly a hundred yards apart. He thinks that he owns that whole stretch of road and raises he** with anyone who tries to hunt his area. I just talked to a guy who has tangled with him in the past couple of years and now he plans to call in a hunter harrassment complaint. He is going to let me know what happens.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I had a guy accuse me of stealing his ladder stand one time. He wanted to come to my house and check to make sure it wasn't there! Not happening pal. The roads were very muddy and when he came roaring up in his full size van he slid off the road and got stuck. After having words I drove off and left him stuck but I don't think he realized he was stuck til after I drove off. Ha Ha.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
I’m a forever optimistic type fellow. Then vast majority of my public land meetings are positive. The biggest argument I’ve been in was over who was going to leave. Lol.

Guy climbed down and said he would leave and I demanded that I would leave because he beat me there and it got heated.

This year a buddy and I were walking To a new spot on public open day firearm. We had to walk along some private land for a couple hundred yards. Probably 100 yards from the property line. A guy on the private starts screaming. And I mean screaming at the top of his lungs that we have to go farther south. After a few screams I finally yell back we aren’t even hunting here! Doesn’t slow the screaming down at all so finally we start laughing. Which put the guy into a fit of rage. We actually clicked our lights of just incase he was completely unhinged.

Guess it happens to everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,894 Posts
Like mentioned 99% of my encounters are courteous. The ones that get me are road hunters that want to sit a powerline road and look 500 yards in every direction tying up all kinds of area. This is in a foot travel only area. How do they expect people to get around? Yeah I see your light fool but I'm walking 10 feet from you to get where I'm going. Another one I like is "I've been hunting here forever".Really?? My Grandpa built that cabin in the early 60's and I've never seen you before. Some people are a$$ hats.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts