Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm really enjoying the excellent information I'm finding in these forums!

I've only been hunting (firearem) for a few years now. I had the good fortune to be able to hunt on private land, but that is no longer the case. I've never hunted public land before, so I'm looking for some advice. I'm considering the following public lands:

Oakland County: Bald Mountain Rec., Holly GA

Livingston County: Gregory State GA, Oak Grove State GA, Brighton Rec.

Wastenaw County: Waterloo Rec., Pinckney Rec., Chelsea State GA, Sharonville State GA

I'm not worried about hiking several hundred yards (so long as I can still drag a deer out!:D) and I plan on being in my spot at least an hour and 45 before sun-up. My biggest concern is finding an area where there is not too much hunting pressure. I'm not asking anyone to give up their best hunting spots - I'm just looking for general suggestions about avoiding the hunter-saturated areas. I'm running out of time and would like to begin scouting a public land or two.:help:

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
In the three areas you mentioned, for the firearms deer season opener, you are never going to find an area that isn't heavily hunted. The further you can get away from the access points, the better. That may mean walking in at least 1/2 to 3/4 mile or even more. Most of the pressure will be near a road access. I suggest also that you invest in a plastic deer sled, the kind that rolls up like a bedroll. Cabela's has them for about 30 bones. This will make it easier to drag a deer out even on dry land. Plan on sitting all day long without moving. The restless hunters will start walking at about 10:00 AM and that is when you will see the most action. Go to GoogleMaps.com and look the area over via satellite images. Find a funnel in heavy cover. The thicker the better. That's where the deer are going to be heading once it is light enough to see. Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I can tell you that past experience tells me to stay away from the oak grove area in livingston, It's like a huge punkin patch all the way through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts