Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is a little early, but when do they start taking registrations for the Public Doe Permits? This is my first attempt and I beleive that you need to apply, and then hopefully get drawn by luck, and you need to choose the county correct? Thanks for any help.

· Registered
4,590 Posts
well been getting mine for the last three years, so i can not complain. and i hunt public in kent, but from what i have seen almost need to cut the doe permits on public and let them come back. last year i would avrage three bucks to one doe and have yet to see a spike in the area i hunt. i believe to many button bucks are being taken with doe permits. i would like to see a few little bucks just to put me at some sence the area has a future for more bucks in the future.

· Registered
15,937 Posts
Often when deer populations are in check in a good habitat county like Kent, spikes will disappear and yearlings will be big 6pt's and little basket 8pt's. You don't want to see spikes and little forks in Kent county IMHO. A small spike in Kent county is a probable indication that something isn't right.

· Registered
2,940 Posts
Triumphdog said:
Sorry its been a few weeks. What is the best thing to do? Go to a lisense dealer on July 15th and sign up for one? When do you find out if you get one? How many can you apply for?
Just go to anywhere that sells licenses (please stay away from the big box stores and just patronize your local outdoors shop or just do it off the dnr website). It doesnt matter when apply as long as its during the month long application period and just so you know it doesn't improve your chances if you do it sooner than later-its all luck of the draw. You can only apply for one license in the DMU of your choice. The results are posted Sept. 10th on the DNR website.

Here's the dnr online link for permit purchases-I would suggest this route as I've found it to be the most convienient.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_42807---,00.html

· Registered
3,706 Posts
Pinefarm said:
Often when deer populations are in check in a good habitat county like Kent, spikes will disappear and yearlings will be big 6pt's and little basket 8pt's. You don't want to see spikes and little forks in Kent county IMHO. A small spike in Kent county is a probable indication that something isn't right.
Not necessarily true. What if that small spike is the young of that year? I have actually seen this many times.

Dan

· Registered
1,628 Posts
One Eye,

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm a little confused by your previous post.

When you say "the young of that year," I'm assuming you mean fawns? If so, that's one hell of an area to regularly see fawns with visible bone on their head. Or perhaps you mean yearlings? Not really sure, just trying to clarify.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.