Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helped a couple good ole boys out of a jam today. They were buried at a public access and my shovel and strap saved them some money, let alone a heart attack. Anybody know who or why the public access sites get ignored by the DNR in the winter. I see people parking along roads and people getting stuck, seems a little dangerous.

·
Banned
234 Posts
I guess maybe its not in their budget to plow the lots, I'll be parking somewhere else, so I can screw them outa that eleven bucks. They don't help me one bit, all take no give.

·
Banned
234 Posts
I would head over to lake Chemung, but I'd get stuck and get an $11 ticket. I guess the lesson is, if you wanna ice fish, get a 4x4. Is this a reasonable expectation or does it alienate a large percentage of the population. Plowing the "pay to park" sites is something that needs to get done!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I know some of the access sites up here are plowed by private individuals for no pay but rather just to help folks out....If I happen to see them plowing I always stop and thank them.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Helped a couple good ole boys out of a jam today. They were buried at a public access and my shovel and strap saved them some money, let alone a heart attack. Anybody know who or why the public access sites get ignored by the DNR in the winter. I see people parking along roads and people getting stuck, seems a little dangerous.
Yah yesterday evening at sheffer lake on 108th was a sketchy traffic situation on my way home 2 people parked on edge of rd while other people were very confused driving.traffic stopped in both directions with rubber neckers.

·
Premium Member
29,616 Posts
Was just talking to another member (aslongasitpullsback) from the site about this earlier since we're having an outing at lake fenton this weekend. I think if its a launch site covered on the recreational passport, then it should be plowed. We're paying for it to be used. It's not called a boat launch only passport now is it:confused: Something needs to be started, maybe a petition so next year it can be done. I mean come on, make it $12 instead of 11. It's not like they have to be plowed daily, only after a heavy snow.:rant:

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
I think something should at least be done with the places that require a rec passport... Either that, or allow anyone park there without a passport during the winter...

I have a passport and a QD2 Hemi Jeep but I still am siding with the underdogs here... I would much rather be able to ice fish out of a hatch back...

<*)))>{

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
They aren't plowed because all of the money is protected funds to be used for boating access. Not ice fishing, swimming, snowmobiling or anything else, just boating.
That said there has been a shift in thinking about this because of the rec passport. Problem is the rec passport is a very small portion of BAS funding. Talking to the local unit that administers the site might do you some good. I would love to plow some of my busier sites but I don't have a plow and without some guidance from up high it's not going to change. Talk to the unit admin, talk to the parks & recreation district supervisor for the area and talk to your state rep. Maybe this can be changed, at least on some level.

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
Around here public access is grudgingly tolerated by lakefront owners.
It is their right to be that way but the launches don,t get plowed.
This year I have not, but last year I plowed a couple different sites.
The thing is ,liability....
But hey if you have to pay to be on the parking site it would seem that it should be maintained?
For what it takes to knock a lot clear a reasonable access fee should cover it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts