Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the recent postings regarding dog food, "who feeds what" etc. I have some questions about protien content in dog food.

1) are high protein diets harmfull to an active dog? If the dog doesnt metabolize all the protein it ends up coming out as waste.. through the kidneys. I have read that this can cause Kidney damage.

2) If price of food was not an issue, would you feed high protein to your dog/s? Higher than say the normal performance formulas 30% Protien and 20% fat?

3) I see that quality dog foods (Innova Evo, bark at the moon etc) that contain meat as the fist few ingrediants with no fillers, are always obviously higher in protein content. I would like to hear from some of the guys that feed the Innova 42% protien feeds and why you feed such a high protien content.

I am trying to feed a higher quality diet to my active GSP. Looking at all the high end foods, all have really high protien content. I was just wondering what some of you thought the pros and cons of a high protien diet would be. I know one con is that the high end food is alot more costly than the big brand name stuff but that really doesnt matter to me as I have only 1 dog to feed and can justify the added expense for a healthier dog.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use a mix of the regular Innova and the EVO. Dumb setter won't eat enough of the standard feeds to keep any meat on his bones. Add an intolerance to either corn or wheat and the choices start to get limited.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I feed Innova RM and supplement with Dinovite to one of my dogs.
From the time this dog was a year old or so he smelled. He just smelled different than other dogs and the other dog in my house. Hard to explain but kind of a sour smell, like he was sick or something but he acted and looked fine. Looking back on it though we realized that he did fart a lot, that has stopped after switching foods.
At about two years old he started to itch and chew at his hips and around his anus, he also would break out with small lesions along the inside of his thighs and belly. The sores were like pimples.
After a year of Vet visits and them saying it was mange, fleas, etc.... I was just sick of living with the dog. He was miserable and so was I watching him chew himself raw. Vet wanted him on prednisone but I read into the long term affects and searched for a different solution.
I started reading about BARF diet and RAW diets created by the Great Dane community and Innova was touted as the closests possible commercial food to RAW so I gave it a whirl.
I stopped the drugs cold turkey and started him on Innova RM and the dinovite supplement and within 30 days he was completely healed. That was nearly three years ago now and he has been fine since. Turned into a pretty fair grouse dog too. :D

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
high protein and fat will give your dog more endurance while minimizing weight loss and muscle loss.

There is an argument on the kidney thing. some say it damages other say it doesnt.

I would say feed high protein during the hunting season and the offseason normal food. active dog = running for hours.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I feed high protien because my dogs are out and about a lot. I like a dog with solid muscle mass just for cosmetic reasons too.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.. Currently I am feeding 25% protein food and was thinking about boosting that up a bit. It seems as the pup gets burnt out pretty quickly. I know it is not due to the heat because I run him early in the morning or Late in the evening.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was feeding eagle pak natural for a while to my setter who has skin allergies. While feeding this food all his skin rashes cleared up and his coat really filled out. But do to the only place I could find this was either TC or GR, which is a good trip from Ludington for dog food I switched over to Purina and he is doing pretty good on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts