Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, let's hear the answers. I think I know some of them, but I want to make certain before I buy myself a flasher.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
First off, welcome to the site !

This place is great and before long you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. :)

When it comes to cone angles you've got to figure out what depth you're going to most commonly fish. If you fish shallow, a wider cone will be preferable. But if you mostly fish in deeper water a narrower cone will work better. A narrow cone in shallow water will give you very little coverage and a wide cone in deep water will show you a bigger area but it'll be hard to tell where the fish are in the "cone".

Have a great season and be safe out there !

John

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
I have all three, 9, 12, 19 degree and anymore all I use is the 9 degree's. I don't care what is out to the sides away from my bait, I personally want to see whats happening by my bait. The 9 degree also lets you run your gain much lower because your using your power in a smaller area. Running the gain lower is much better in the weeds and also much less interfearence around other people. Just my two cents, based on using flashers for 15 years plus 3-4 days a week. :)

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
I have the dual 9/19 degree transducer. There are different conditions when I prefer one over the other. When I'm fishing two rods in shallow water with weeds I like using the 19 degree. When I'm fishing in deep water I like using the 9 degree. Having the dual transducer lets you change with the flip of a switch.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,426 Posts
All good replies! Jpollman , right on!
I've fished Perch in Muskegon in 72FOW before....with an 8 degree on an X70A Lowrance....
The best thing about a narrow cone?
TARGET SEPARATION.
You'll see more bottom area with a larger cone , but more detail within the smaller beam.
If you can only choose one , you have to decide your BEST application.
:fish:

WELCOME ABOARD!
:evilsmile

Robert

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Also keep in mind about the floor. If you are fishing a steep drop off the cone may give you a false bottom signal. When the a wide cone hits the bottom it says "ok i hit bottom".

I know I didn't really clarify it right, but I can't think of the correct way to explain that.

It prolly won't make a difference in most cases but sometimes if you are fishing a 6' hole it would make a difference.

I also use the most narrow beam I can get away with.

·
Super Moderator
16,426 Posts
Banditto said:
Also keep in mind about the floor. If you are fishing a steep drop off the cone may give you a false bottom signal. When the a wide cone hits the bottom it says "ok i hit bottom".

I know I didn't really clarify it right, but I can't think of the correct way to explain that.

It prolly won't make a difference in most cases but sometimes if you are fishing a 6' hole it would make a difference.

I also use the most narrow beam I can get away with.
How's THIS for a visual Banditto??
STRAIGHT from Vex's site....

:lol:

R
:D

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Hey that is exactly what I was trying to say. See, you would miss those 6 fish if the cone was too wide.

Think about that, an extra 6 fish for having a more narrow cone.

Seriously though, I fish a lot of times on a drop off that goes from 12ft down to 100ft in about 40feet distance on the ice. The walleye will creep up from the deeper water and check out the really shallow areas from about 30 before last light to 2-3 hours past last light. It really makes a difference to have your vex setup right.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Can you just tilt the cone 9 degrees counter-clockwise so at least 2 fish will be able to show up on the screen?

I believe in deep water you can set your cone in an angle, like using a flashlight, to scan the deeper area. I will give it a try to see the depth indication changes.

sfw1960 said:
How's THIS for a visual Banditto??
STRAIGHT from Vex's site....

:lol:

R
:D

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Well for one thing the transducer hangs on a float, and it needs to set still to really get an accurate reading. Also if you were able to canter the transducer chances are it would actually make matters worse. Having a narrow cone for ice fishing isn't a bad thing...

but again mine has a dual angle and I also bought the mid range one too. The dual is the flip of a switch, while the mid range requires disconnecting the cables (major pain in the shanty).

Best suggestion is to go out with somebody who owns one and see what you prefer. It takes a little getting used to but once it is set up correctly you will be amazed. they are THAT good

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm trying to build a pivot bracket just like the ones Lowrance had back in the 70's. The trans. clips into a daul snap set a 30 degrees and you can rotate it 360. with the gain turn all the way down you should be able to make suspended fish, sounds fisable.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Your best bet for ice fishing is the dual cone. If you can't afford it then the 12 degreee is the compromise. That is why vexilar started packaging them with the 12 degree cone.

·
Super Moderator
16,426 Posts
I guess Ill just have to "suffer" with my 20 degree on my LMS332c 2400 watt "flasher"....
heheeeeeeeeeee!!

I run this in MANUAL on the ice.
;)

R

·
Registered
743 Posts
Those are really nice sounders, but i don't really think they can be classified as a "flasher". Like I said though, it's a really sweet sounder. I guess the rest of us will have to "suffer" with are lowly vexilars...he he he he :D

·
Super Moderator
16,426 Posts
Thanks for about the only kind words I'll get because I'm one of only a few who don't want a VeX...LOL!
I know it's 'flasher' mode - but it's just as 'real time' as any flasher I've used including the FLxx series VeX's.... you can really crank up the pings/second going in manual and adjusting chart speed , ping rate & turning off all automatic settings. A lot of guys give the LCD's a bad rap B/C they don't adjust the machines into full manual.....
If you read In-Fisherman ; there's a good (Dec. '05) article comparing the two (Vex & M68c).
;)
It works very fine for me.
narrow cones are still the best for highest res.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts