Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been covered before but I got a new S-10 truck with a tonno cover and was going to build a box for my two dogs. However with the limited Dry storage capacity of a truck without the tonno cover on it anymore and the pain it would be to remove and replace the box by myself. I was thinking a dog trailor might be the route to go. I have access to an older utility trailer to convert. I just was wondering what soe peoples thoughts about the pros and cons of a trailer might be.....My first thought was dog safety in an accident. However I know a lot of animals are transported in different types of trailers

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
A couple things I have learned.

Trailers are more prone to getting wet since your tires are constantly throwing water at the at high speeds if it is raining or snowing.

Trailers bounch if they bounch to much they could cause the dog to become sick or sore from the ride.

I use my trailer alot. But I have had to make alot of adjustments to it that really added to the over all cost.

My buddy has an enclosed trailer that he converted into a dog trailer.

Mine is custom made with a outside run and kennel.

Both have there pro's and con's.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
the commercial models are very expensive for what you get. lots of doors and a cheap running gear. if you take it into the woods the are kind of a pain, my son can back a gravel train off the road and 500 ft down the drive. he has trouble with my utility trailer. and those small wheels have turn a lot at 70mph.

i haul a gooseneck stock north for my gear and use it as a portable dog kennel parked at the cabin. but to haul a couple dogs out into the woods in an S10, a couple portable dog crates are a lot more practical. if you are concerned about security, i lock mine to the bed and then installed a lock on the tailgate.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
farther ahead to buy a topper like I did & have a custom dog box built or just buy a standard 2 dog box or even use your vari-kennels.
I had to search a while to find a topper with hinged side opening windows with sliders for ventilation when its warm out.
Put my box at the rear so I don't have to climb in to let dogs in and out & can store lots of stuff in front of the box with the side opening windows.

But, now I will be running 6 setters next year between hunting & trialing & may have to look into a trailer for when I need to take them all. My custom make one & by 2 more 2 dog boxes. Still thinking about it though.

Wally

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
drwink said:
farther ahead to buy a topper like I did & have a custom dog box built or just buy a standard 2 dog box or even use your vari-kennels.
I had to search a while to find a topper with hinged side opening windows with sliders for ventilation when its warm out.
Put my box at the rear so I don't have to climb in to let dogs in and out & can store lots of stuff in front of the box with the side opening windows.

But, now I will be running 6 setters next year between hunting & trialing & may have to look into a trailer for when I need to take them all. My custom make one & by 2 more 2 dog boxes. Still thinking about it though.

Wally

Drwink lets see a pic of your topper also who made it

here is mine I agree with the topper as well

scott

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I meant a fiberglass topper, not a dog box topper like yours. your average bird hunter dosen't need something that elablorate.
But since you asked, here's my set up.

back of truck, covermaster fiberglass topper

Back of truck open, no need to climb in to let dogs out. Uplander 3 dog box with underdrawer storage, fits between wheel wells.

Easy access side opening windows

inside storage in front of the dog box

side opening windows have sliders built in for warm days and dogs can get ventilation, I can put a remote temperature/termometer that I can read from the cab & know how warm the dogs are.
Just my set up.

Wally

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
fisterabe I feel you pain I have a S-10 fourdoor so I know what you mean about box space. Here is what I did when I carry just two dogs.

But when I go for weekend with all my stuff I had my brother inlaw how is quite a wood bucker make a custom shelf that fitts over the wheelwell and I slide the box on top so I have storage under it. BearCreek has the same double box ways nothing so is easy to move. Good luck and did you mail my stuff don't want to lose it in Christmas mail?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I really like my alum box. Light enough for one person to put in and out. Had the heavier wood box previous which may have been a bit more insulated but was quite a bit heavier.

Mike

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Oh sorry wally I thought you meant topper like mine oopps

I agree the average person dont need a topper like mine

But I still also will agree a topper like yours will do just fine for most needs infact it may be the only way to go

most people looking for a dog trailer is going to haul more then 3 or 4 dogs tho

scott

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Here is a picture of my trailer. I work more dogs than my topper can handle so I need to pull a one. One thing to keep in mind is ventilation. I never let my truck idle when parked. It is a utility trailer frame with a 3500# axel w/15" tires. The holes are big enough to fit two dogs in each. I also carry my quad on top of it. When I am working dogs on the plains my son drags it down the fire lanes with the quad (shown in picture) while I work dogs. I do worry about being hit from behind when driving in the big cities.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Back woods said:
Here is a picture of my trailer. I work more dogs than my topper can handle so I need to pull a one. One thing to keep in mind is ventilation. I never let my truck idle when parked. It is a utility trailer frame with a 3500# axel w/15" tires. The holes are big enough to fit two dogs in each. I also carry my quad on top of it. When I am working dogs on the plains my son drags it down the fire lanes with the quad (shown in picture) while I work dogs. I do worry about being hit from behind when driving in the big cities.

Bruce
Hey bruce

can you send a picture of your topper? what make and model is it?

I am just wondering mine was hand made buy a guy in his barn

I kinda just wondering what else is out there

scott

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Worm Dunker said:
fisterabe I feel you pain I have a S-10 fourdoor so I know what you mean about box space. Here is what I did when I carry just two dogs.
But when I go for weekend with all my stuff I had my brother inlaw how is quite a wood bucker make a custom shelf that fitts over the wheelwell and I slide the box on top so I have storage under it. BearCreek has the same double box ways nothing so is easy to move. Good luck and did you mail my stuff don't want to lose it in Christmas mail?
I had a S-10 and now have a colorado crew cab. My brother gave me the idea and he has the same thing in his s-10. I built a box that is as wide as teh wheel wells and as high as them too. It has a drawer that pulls out that has three slots for guns that are carpeted and padded. Then I have a few compartments for shells clothes, breathable waders,boots, e collars, gun chokes and cleaning supplies. I can fit two kennels on top of the box side by side. The only thing I havve in front or behind the kennels for that matter is a close bag or if I have a lot of extra equipment.
Ric

Here is a pic of the box with a third kennel turned sideways infront of them. If you have a regular bed not the crew cab shorty you can fit two smaller kennels front to back on each side.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Back woods said:
Here is my topper. It's an older one and I'm not sure who made it. It is all aluminum and my son and I can put it on with no problem.

hey bruce does it have a fan or any think looks like a 6 hole

mine would take 3 guys to take it on or off but I really dont think I would ever take it off

scott

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Back woods said:
Scott, I like to remove mine so I can use my truck to haul wood and such.

Backwoods sounds to me like that means work

LMAO I think if I leave it on I dont have to haul wood there for dont have to work LOL

scott

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Back woods said:
It would be more work using my wife's Mazda RX7 to get the job done. :lol:

Not that I haven't used the trunck of many cars to haul wood.

No really I have a small trailler I use when i need to even when i had my box in the truck I never took it out just used the trailer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts