Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rowan County proposal would ban dogs' barking
Nuisance rule is meant to keep peace, officials say

Magistrates in Rowan County voted on Jan.20 to adopt an animal-control ordinance, which includes the anti-barking provision. A second vote is required before it goes into effect. The law says anyone who permits a dog to "disturb the peace and quiet of a neighborhood" can be fined $25 for the first offense, $50 for the second and $100 for the third. In addition, the offending dog can be impounded.

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2004/02/06ky/met-6-bark02060-4645.html

·
Registered
724 Posts
The linked article didn't list the entire statute but the prosecutor was quoted as saying:

the law is aimed at people who have dogs that bark incessantly and become an obvious nuisance to neighbors. "It would just be so simple for people to bring their dogs inside at night," said Kiefer, who has two golden retrievers. "My pets don't bother anyone, and no one's pets should bother us."

Perhaps the statute could be re-written to be a bit more specific. A barking dog that is hunting is Ok. A dog barking all night in the kennel or yard is a nuisance and IMHO the owner is acting irresponsibly.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Live next to a neighbor who dislikes you and your dog will be barking inside and out. It is a way to get under your skin. Some people will call if the dog barks at the mailman or when a boy playing runs by the dog. There is probably already a noise ordinance in effect that would cover the issue. This is directed at dogs. This way they can get paid twice for doing their job.

Back Woods

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't post the article, but the story went something like this.

A man was taken to court for harassing phone calls in the middle of the night by an irate neighbor. The judge asked the defendent if he was indeed making the calls.

"Yes sir your honor."

The judge "Why are doing this?"

"Your honor, This man's dog keeps barking during the night. If I'm going to be awake, then he is going to be awake."

The judge. "Case dismissed. You are free to continue your calls."

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Originally posted by Randy
Theres is no reason a dog should be allowed to bark day and night for no reason.
I agree, but I could see people reporting a barking dog just because they don't get along with their neighbor. Hopefully there needs to be more than one person complaining to have proof of a "nuisance."

What would be funny is that if the dog keeps the place free of thiefs and then after being reported, the complainer's place gets robbed! Heck, just go ahead and do a little "tp" job yourself on him for fun;)

"If Fido was out barking, . . . "

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just curious, what can be done with with a dog that continually barks?

Is there any tried and true way to stop this?
Utahan

·
Registered
724 Posts
There are some e-collars on the market that supposedly provide "correction" to a barking dog. It must have a sensor and administer a jolt when the dog barks.

I've never had a barking dog - never tried these products. In my experience problem barking dogs are generally bored, frustrated or generally neglected.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Some breeds just bark more than others.
My Setter will bark at a falling leaf, my Husky wouldn't make a sound even with a stranger at the door.

I'd like to make an ordinance that allows me to fine anyone that I don't like $50 when I feel like it.

That is what legislation is for isn't it? ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts