Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the regulations on prohibited bait fish and I got real confused so I emailed a question to the DNR here is my question and their response :
I am a little confused on the prohibited bait fish? Are the shad that are native
to belleville lake on that list. I dip them from the lake while in my boat and
use them for bait in the lake. I thought this was okay until I started reading
the regulations again. If they are prohibited then how do you keep the fish in
the lake from eating them?

Response (Lynne Thoma) - 09/16/2008 04:26 PM
Belleville is connected to the Great Lakes through the Huron River (although
there is a dam separating them), but gizzard shad are still found in Belleville.

Belleville is considered VHS Surveillance Management Area. That means shad caught
by an angler from Belleville can be use in VHS Surveillance Management Areas or
VHS Positive Management Areas.

I found this on the dnr web site.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-184620--,00.html

so I gather from this that prohibited has a new meaning?

does this confuse anyone else or am I the only one?

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I am not confused.

If the bait fish is on the prohibited list then all that needs to be done is to look and see what the restrictions are that make it prohibited. In the case of VHS this means where the bait can be used or what the restrictions are, or iow, what is prohibited.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
It is not confusing. You can dip them from that lake and use them on that lake, just don't take them to another lake.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what originally confused me. the definition of the word prohibited(forbidden by law) . http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prohibited when you read the list using this definintion and not the word restricted (Kept within certain limits; limited:) I took it to mean what it said. I may be splitting hairs here but when I see a list that says resticted with no special circumstances or instructions attached to the list I went with the definition of the word used.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
well, they have prohibited use of these species in certain areas if brought there from a VHS survelance area or a VHS positive area. Within a single body of water is different. If you are using a prohibited species as bait that was bought, you must provide a receipt showing it is certified VHS free or caught from a VHS free area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts