Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have the boat almost completely stripped. I am almost to the rebuilding stage (the fun stage). Gotta continue to try and get that blue carpet off in spots but it is mostly gone. Next part is rebuilding the covers/seats for the live wells/storage. Then the painting. I have a few questions regarding the painting. Since it already has been painted will it need to be primed again because it is aluminum? Can I use flat green rustoleum? Or should I go with the boat paint from cabelas?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
my personal preference is to scuff whole boat with scotchbrite disks on an air tool (or battery rotary) then prime with an aluminum etching primer. Then use some kind of marine paint such as parkers duck boat paint.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Take a look at iboats.com forum. Theres a ton of info on rebuilding boats. Its helped me tenfold in restoring my islander

·
Registered
296 Posts
my personal preference is to scuff whole boat with scotchbrite disks on an air tool (or battery rotary) then prime with an aluminum etching primer. Then use some kind of marine paint such as parkers duck boat paint.
I have only painted three aluminum boats (a fraction of what the kid has painted I am sure) but I second his exact process. All three I have painted have been shockingly durable. Prep prep and more prep. Scuff pads->wax and grease remover or thinner to clean-> etching primer -> base coat ->rattle can camo.

edit -Dont stress about removing the factory paint. unless it is chipped or flaking, it will be a strong bond and if scuffed well it will be fine to paint over. You will want to check your primer and or base coat in a small area if you are painting over the factory paint. Different reducers or catalysts do not always agree with each other. (may cause cracking, blistering or orange peel) better to find out in a small test spot rather than the entire boat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've painted a few now. With factory painted boats, I've sanded with 320 and painted with good results. We did one bare aluminum and used etching primer. That one is holding up good.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I agree with the above. I scuffed the entire boat and scrubbed it down with TSP. Then primed with etching primer. I used Kush paint. Local company with quality paint and a gallon was reasonable at around $31. It comes in a variety of hunting colors. Rolled and brushed it on and looked good when done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts