Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my order from Cabelas came a week or so ago but this was the first opportunity I had to fool around w/ it. I installed the Silent Solution rest on my bow yesterday.

The install was a little more complicated then I anticipated but not extreme. I followed the instructions as printed then paper tuned this morning. I have to say I was somewhat apprehensive but to my surprise this was the easiest tuning job I have ever done. One adjustment to my nocking point and I was shooting bullet holes at 7 and 13 yds (can't test any further as this is all the space I have in the basement).

I used the Carbon Express camo arrows I bought this past season. They are w/o a doubt the noisiest arrow ever created. The surface is so rough there was nothing I could do to quiet my prong style rest this past season. So, two days prior to opening day I had to abandon them and build new arrows, asap.

On this rest they shot absolutely w/o sound. I am impressed!!!

I do however have some concerns that maybe Joe Archer could answer as he has used this rest for sometime. This rest violates every principal I hold dear, regarding the KISS method. It is somewhat complicated and uses a lot of parts and screws. I have a concern w/ the spring durability, as well as, the overall fragility of the entire rest under hunting conditions(ie. hoisting and lowering from trees). However, for the time being and until I can shoot a lot more arrows thru it, I would give it a thumbs up!

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
It's good to see posts from people making changes in the off season. It shows concern for having your hunting rig ready to go on opening day.
Could you tell us what it is that makes your rest so much quieter?

·
Administrator
36,205 Posts
Nailer I use this same rest. Have not had too many problems with it in the field and it has been pretty durable. The only thing I have had happen, is to have one of the O rings pop off during a shot. Usually you cannot find it either. So it pays to have a few extra O's in your pack when hunting.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, My biggest concern is w/ the spring. It appears to be the weakest link. Ever had any problems w/ it coming off if your bow hangs up on brush or a twig? I also plan on calling today for a Field Service Kit so I can keep some spare parts in my pack.Thanks for the tip!

Airoh, This rest utilizes two small wheels that have a tiny ruuber tire on them. When you draw back your bow the shaft rolls on the wheels as opposed to dragging across, thus eliminating the noise that most prong style rests make. I'm hoping to set my bow up for turkey hunting, if I get the nerve up to try it instead of the shotgun. That's the reason I'm playing w/ it so early. Plus, I figure by bow season I'll have had thousands of shots thru this new rest so I'll have a better idea of it's durability.

[This message has been edited by The Nailer (edited 01-29-2001).]

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Having the O-rings pop off would be a deal breaker for me. Even once. I'm trying to reduce the amount of maintenance-work in my life, not increase it. I'm sorry to hear this, as I was planning to go with a Silent Solution rest.

Anyone else out there with experience on the performance of this rest?

[This message has been edited by farmlegend (edited 01-29-2001).]

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
Nailer, I have never had a problem with the springs. With literally 1000's upon 1000's of shots I have replaced an O-ring once so far. When I shot any kind of shrink-tubing it didnt last much more than a day or two.

The only problem I have ever heard of (from the person that introduced me to the rest) was in cold conditions the wheels froze up on him and squeeked. Since then we both lubricate the wheels anually and have had no problem in sub-zero conditions. <----<<<

·
Registered
233 Posts
Last week I tried placing an on-line order with Cabela's for a left hand Silent Solution. It was for one of my friends since he doesn't have a computer. They didn't have any instock and when I talked to customer service it didn't sound like they would be getting any more. They did have right hand rests instock.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I took a look at these things and they sure look like they would work boy boy do they have alot of moving parts. To me they look like they are more trouble than they are worth. I shoot a TM ultimate hunter with a product called rest implants on the arms and I have absolutly no noise at all. I get the rest implants at my local sporting goods store. If you can find some I would highly recomend them. I try to keep my set up as gaget free as possible because what I have found is If it can go wrong it will.

·
Administrator
36,205 Posts
Well I only had the o ring incident happen once under certain conditions (I think my arrow may have been mis-aligned with the rest). But it prompted me to take spare parts with me in the field just in case.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Freddie B, at what sporting goods store in J-town do you buy your Rest Implants product?

I pass thru that area frequently and would like to give them a try. I've tried many silencing materials and have yet to find the perfect product.

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Does anyone but Cabelas carry the Silent Solution?
I ask because my mother-in-law wants to get me a birthday present. She is a little nervous about buying online for her own reasons, and it is highly unlikely that she will get out to Dundee. She would, however, buy me a gift certificate to a local sporting goods store. She insists on buying me a gift every year so I hope no one gets the impression I am taking advantage of her :).
Anyway, do any other sporting goods stores carry the Silent Solution? Or should is it solely a Cabela's distributed product?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Amos (edited 02-02-2001).]

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
Amos, you can get her a product number from the on-line catelog and place the number through an "800" phone number. <----<<<

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Farmlegend, I get them at Shupbach's its located downtown by Kuhl's bell tower. Talk to Brian and tell him that I sent ya. The rest implants are the way to go! I have'nt ever seen something make a bow as silent as these. Let me know if you cant figure out where they are located and I'll give you the address.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Thanks Freddie B. I assume that Brian will know you by that name? Unless of course you are the real FB speaking to us from that great hunt in the sky. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
No, he probably wont know me by that name! Sorry.... tell him that Jon Hall sent ya and he'll know me by that name.

·
Registered
240 Posts
let me tell you about a great rest. i had my doubts at first. it looks like a fake. the wisker buisket. it holds your arrow in a basket type contraption. your arrow cant fall off. its not the quietest, but its not too loud. its great for still hunting. check it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.