Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Producer of goose calls details nuances of technique

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/statewide/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1134513603234040.xml&coll=1

Sunday, December 18, 2005 By Bob Gwizdz

MANCHESTER -- While we were setting up decoys in a cut cornfield on a cold, snowy, blowy early December day, small flights of Canada geese were circling. They wanted in where we were.

So George Lynch jumped in the truck and drove off while Joe Robison and I put out about half the decoys we'd planned.

It didn't matter. Before Lynch even got back, Robison had shot his first goose and within 30 minutes, we had six on the ground and were done for the day.

"Today we were on the X," Lynch said.

We left the field -- decoys, lay-out blinds and all -- and went to breakfast, deciding to let the rest of the geese in the area come into the field to feed undisturbed.

Lynch, 46, is best known as the producer of Lynch Mob goose calls, a Michigan-made product that is making noise in the goose-hunting world. And though calling may not have had a lot to do with our success this morning -- the geese wanted in that field, badly -- Lynch says calling is second only to location when it comes to shooting geese.

Fact is, Lynch says, he prefers not to hunt on the X (where the geese want to be). He'd rather hunt nearby areas and try to call the birds down while en route to their feeding area.

"Hunting on the X is a tricky thing because guys burn their fields out hunting them too much," said Lynch, a lifelong southern Michigan (Tecumseh High, 1977) goose hunter. "There's nothing wrong with hunting traffic geese if you don't have to call them too far.

"Hunting traffic geese, you want to be between the roosting and the feeding areas. The trick is to get into the same kind of fields. If it's picked corn they're feeding in, try to get into a picked corn field."

If geese are coming into a field he's hunting, Lynch said, he just gives them clucks and moans and doesn't start calling hard unless it looks like they're not going to come. If they look to be heading off, Lynch lays on the call.

"You've got to make them change their mind, get their minds back on you," Lynch said. "You've got to read their body language."

There's also a difference in how you call residents and migratory birds, Lynch said.

"Migrants you've got to call hard," he said. "They're in big flocks and they're used to a lot of noise. Locals don't get too vocal with each other."

But there's an exception to every rule and occasionally, you have to get aggressive with the locals, especially late in the season when feeding areas are at a premium, Lynch said. That's when you want to call aggressively, but not necessarily to attract them.

"Sometimes, you're telling them you don't want them there," Lynch said. "If you're hungry and you find your family some food, you don't call everybody you know to come over. These birds get nervous about running out of feed."

Lynch started making goose calls about five years ago, because he wanted something that was deeper and easier to blow than what he could find on the market. Because he worked in manufacturing and had access to equipment, he started making a few goose calls, for himself and friends, never intending to make a commercial product.

Then, Lynch said, he happened into a calling competition in Utah where he was hunting. He entered the contest and said he impressed a bunch of hunters.

"The guys out there went nuts," Lynch said. "They'd never heard anything like it. Everything else was high-pitched. Guys were all coming up to me wanting to know who's this guy from Michigan blowing so deep and goosey and loud.

"That's when I knew I had something."

Lynch started turning out calls in his home work shop and offered them for sale. Word spread.

"Next thing you know,'' he said, "they were in Cabela's."

Now Lynch makes three different goose callers -- the HL-1, the Goose Noose and the Executioner -- that range in price from $90 to $140. He hopes to have a duck call on the market by spring and recently gave up his day job to devote his full attention to the hunting business.

He hasn't been able to ramp up production as much as he'd like because he winds up doing almost all of the buffing and sanding himself.

"I've tried to teach people how to do it, but not very many guys can get it right," he said. "It's more of an art than a skill."

Goose season, which is now closed, reopens in much of the state Dec. 31.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have talked to George a few times and its always a plessure. Great guy nice to talk to! Great caller and hunter! You DONT want to be in a feild with him and his crew with birds in the air! Youll come up short! trust me......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts