Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all u expert ice fishing people. I need some help. I luv ice fishing now (thanks alot mr booge) I have all the equipment i will ever need to fish. Including some very nice custome made g loomis ice rods. The only problem i have is i use spinning reels with all the rods i have. I usually only fish for perch and gills (never anything bigger). The problem i have is i always have line twist, and i cant avoid it. What i mean is after i let my bait down into the water it spins like crazy. Is there anyway i can get away from this. I use 2 or 4lb test. If i switch to ice braid will that eliminate the problem i have. As for the spinning reels i use they are shimano stellas and sustain. So the reels arnt the problem...... Please help me have more fun fishing this season. Thanks alot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try a small swivel tied to main line then tie leader to that I never had that problem but I dont use spining reel I use old style ice fishing reels.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Sounds like you're not loading the reels the right way.
It can be done backwards, if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it, im gonna guess the more fish you catch the worse it gets....Thats a good thing if you ask me...Spinning reels do that...Look at it this way, how many times does a fish swim straight up to the hole, very rarely....Their swimming in all different directions therefor twisting your line even worse than the spinning reel already is...Thats my story and im sticking to it...:lol:

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
fyi.... old schooley reels are still used by many and some of the very best icemen t.v.
show stars for two reasons ...... they never freeze up ..... absolutely no line twist

·
Registered
465 Posts
fyi.... old schooley reels are still used by many and some of the very best icemen t.v.
show stars for two reasons ...... they never freeze up ..... absolutely no line twist

Picked up 3 at the local shop today!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
i take a peice of rubber like from a tire tube and i fold it in half and run it down my line a couple times, takes out all the kinks and i have never had any problems since, no more line twists

·
Registered
877 Posts
Crappie Hunter Reels
Crappie Hunter Reels are available in two models. The Crappie Hunter 20 features a chrome-plated metal frame, selective on/off bait clicker and anti reverse, adjustable spool tension control, and left right hand retrieve, and a line capacity of 230 yds/8 lb.

The Crappie Hunter 10 features an ABS frame and spool, selective on/off bait clicker, adjustable disc drag system, and a line capacity of 100 yds/6 lb.

About $8.99

800-334-9105 [email protected]

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Those reels are fine (I have a 1/2 dozen of them) but keep in mind if you don't take them in every night and let them thaw in the sink they will get condensation and freeze up.

They work great (when they work)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok all u expert ice fishing people. I need some help. I luv ice fishing now (thanks alot mr booge) I have all the equipment i will ever need to fish. Including some very nice custome made g loomis ice rods. The only problem i have is i use spinning reels with all the rods i have. I usually only fish for perch and gills (never anything bigger). The problem i have is i always have line twist, and i cant avoid it. What i mean is after i let my bait down into the water it spins like crazy. Is there anyway i can get away from this. I use 2 or 4lb test. If i switch to ice braid will that eliminate the problem i have. As for the spinning reels i use they are shimano stellas and sustain. So the reels arnt the problem...... Please help me have more fun fishing this season. Thanks alot
G-loomis rods and Shimano Stella reel? Is this for real? I think someone is having fun with this forum.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I use a barrel swivel on all my gear and it works great for me. This also allows me to use a high visibility line with tipped with a clear leader for those spooky fish!

Highly suggest a barrel swivel for any rod and reel ice set up!!

Regards,
Lyle

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Braid is your friend. Try some Fireline crystal micro ice in 1 lb size.....strong as snot, no twist and no need for leader.......1 lb is the same size as 1/4 lb mono........... It's so strong that you can't break it in your bare hands without first cutting yourself........

I use Fireline crystal micro ice on all my ice reels. On my 5 walleye rods I run 8 lb fireline with a good ball bearing swivel and 4 ft of 6 lb florocarbon....... Ball bearing swivels are far better than the cheapo barrel swivels...... On my panfish rigs it's straight 1 lb fireline crystal micro ice.....drastically improved my catch ratio......

You'll be surprised how easy the fireline spools up and fishes.........I've been using it for years and years and will not go back to any other ice line...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
i take a peice of rubber like from a tire tube and i fold it in half and run it down my line a couple times, takes out all the kinks and i have never had any problems since, no more line twists
I do this for fly fishing leaders and it works great, sure it would work for ice fishing too (i'll try this this year).

ALso I use a small barrel swivel between my main ice line and my flouro leader.

J-

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Barrel swivels are good if you're not swapping baits all the time. If you tie jigs using a knot switch to a loop, that will reduce line twist big time! That is what I do and it is actually quicker than tying a knot. Also if you are constantly jigging hard that adds twist too. If you ever get the chance to fish in a spearing shanty do it, you learn so much of what happens under the ice that you would otherwise not know.

A good loop is a surgeons loop, it's easy to tie.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure did jackie. Ur such a sweet heart, i love the fact that no matter what your doing u always have time to talk to us fisherman/woman. I will ALWAYS buy my bait and tackle from u. As for the person who said something about g loomis rods and stella reels, no bull. I have 5 shamino S concept reels, 3 of them are stellas. And i used to only buy g loomis but they get kinda expensive. The rest of my rods are elite st croix. My buddy posts on here too, he will back me up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts