Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trapping a small creek that I figure has a pair of beavers in it living in a bank den I found the feed pile they have a small dam but can not find the bank den hoping to get enough ice that I can walk on there was q nother trapper in there this fall and had not caught a beaver I'm thinking they are smart to conis I'm hoping to snare once ice is safe and tips appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I am trapping a small creek that I figure has a pair of beavers in it living in a bank den I found the feed pile they have a small dam but can not find the bank den hoping to get enough ice that I can walk on there was q nother trapper in there this fall and had not caught a beaver I'm thinking they are smart to conis I'm hoping to snare once ice is safe and tips appreciated
Might sound silly but I’ll bomb an area with trail cams set on video. It gives a great, non invasive view of what’s going on in real time. Then slip in with your snares in just the right spot!
Wood Whiskers Hardwood Table Tail

Works every time

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Brad
I would guess that the opening to the den is within or under the feed pile. Depending how wide the stream is and how deep the water is this would be my set up. Example.(Open water) Lets say the creek is 5 feet wide and water belly deep. First wade out and with your feet feel for the depression in the channel, you can't miss it, it will feel U shaped from the beaver traversing the bottom. Run a pole thru the springs of a 330 then place it across the creek, then just use other limbs to fence the area between the trap and the bank off on each side of the trap. Do one setup up stream and one downstream. In other words, a dive stick with a fence. Just be aware that any water critter will try swimming thru the 330, if you don't want to catch otter or muskrats slide your trigger wires to the side of the trap Always run a wire from your cross stick to a tree or stake on the bank, in case of high water will save your trap. I will always enter the water from downstream about 20 feet away from where I'm placing my set and try not disturbing the feed bed area.
You can also look for areas where the beaver is coming out of the water to cut and use step inns if they are coni shy, there again enter the water from downstream. Use castor mound, I also would take my axe and cut a popular sapling, to a point skin some of the bark and drive it in the bank where there coming out. Makes it look like another beaver is cutting in their territory. A trap shy beaver is one of the hardest critters to catch, and will drive you crazy, so patience will pay off.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,281 Posts
When you get some snow on the ground look for a vent hole from the den on the bank. There will be frost around it sometimes even when there is no snow on the ground.

How did any one trap beaver when you could not set within 50 feet of a den or lodge OR 10 feet from a dam? I do not remember ever setting in the entrance to a lodge or den in all my years beaver trapping.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
How did any one trap beaver when you could not set within 50 feet of a den or lodge OR 10 feet from a dam? I do not remember ever setting in the entrance to a lodge or den in all my years beaver trapping.
Taking nothing away from today's trappers. I think we had to work harder, experiment more, and had more patience. We had to adapt to everchanging conditions, as we adapt now to new regulations, new traps, new lures, and new transportation to check traps.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
If they're coni shy, what about a foot hold guarding a castor mound near the feed pile? I've had that problem before. I cut a notch in the bank with shovel, foot hold on a drowner rig in the notch. Slope the bank to the castor mound to look like that's where they're getting in and out. They never knew what hit em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.