Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It took nine years to get it done, but one of the roads that fronts my farm finally became formally abandoned by actions of Adams Township and the Hillsdale County Road Commission.

Henceforth, anyone traveling down this formally public (though seasonal) road without express prior consent of one of four landowners will be committing an act of criminal trespass.

This should cut down on the acts of illegal dumping, littering, poaching, drug use, vandalism, fornication, and other acts of lawless mayhem that formally plagued this one mile stretch of road. Most especially, some that petitioned for the abandonment were motivated to end the unseemly practice of motorists creeping down the road at night for the purpose of shining our deer.

Here’s one of the two new gates.

It took the vandals five days from the gates going up to take out their anger at one of the signs, proving the prescient wisdom of the road closure.

If you think I’m ecstatic at the closure of this road, you’re right. This will absolutely influence some of my land management activities, as new bedding areas, screens, and access routes will be developed, and a former access route closed.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
Congratulations Dan. Glad this will help your situation.

I've seen first hand the rampant destructive activity on that stretch of road. The ground will be better for it.

In hindsight, a well placed camera overlooking the site of the fence and sign would have been nice.

·
Registered
36,067 Posts
Congrats.

My neighbor and I did the same thing. It took 3 years to accomplish after submitting our notarized application. It's been nearly 15 years since anyone dumped trash on our properties.

·
Premium Member
30,905 Posts
Fornication is lawless mayhem?:eek:

Reactions: bioactive

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I like it, but that gate probably wont be strong enough. You need to weld up some pipe like at a public land site the DNR use. Something impossible to bend, a round steel tube with a I beam on one side on a giant hing...... my 2 cents.

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,601 Posts
Weld for a third L bolt on gates. One that is not load bearing, but is upside down to the other two. I know it won't stop the die hard, but will make it a little less likely to get hoisted.

·
Registered
205 Posts
X2 on the camera. If you catch vandals destroying the sign or gate - give the pictures to the police and let them track the low lives down:D

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fornication is lawless mayhem?:eek:
Fornication is illegal in several states.
https://books.google.com/books?id=g...&q=michigan "fornication is illegal "&f=false

Adultery is illegal in Michigan.
https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(k...leg.aspx?page=getobject&objectName=mcl-750-30

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.30 Adultery; punishment.

Sec. 30.

Punishment—Any person who shall commit adultery shall be guilty of a felony; and when the crime is committed between a married woman and a man who is unmarried, the man shall be guilty of adultery, and liable to the same punishment.

History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;-- CL 1948, 750.30
Former Law: See section 1 of Ch. 150 of R.S. 1846, being CL 1857, § 5856; How., § 9277; CL 1897, § 11688; CL 1915, § 15462; and CL 1929, § 16817.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That is a game changer Dan. I would concur on the camera at the gate immediately. You will likely have vandalism but I would bet it will diminish over time.
But definitely congrats are in order.

·
Premium Member
12,901 Posts
We can still drive our dirt bikes and atvs, right?, just not cars.

·
Premium Member
14,396 Posts
I admit it. I used to fornicate by your property. Didn't know it was effecting your deer herd.
You think the deer would just get used to all the repetitious activity.....

Maybe this could explain the custom call Brushbuster made for Farmlegend mimicking sounds he would often hear on his south border.

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Good for the landowners, bad for the County Road Commission.

RC are paid by the state for miles of road in the county, including
seasonal roads, so every time road inventory is removed the RC budget suffers.

·
Premium Member
14,396 Posts
Good for the landowners, bad for the County Road Commission.

RC are paid by the state for miles of road in the county, including
seasonal roads, so every time road inventory is removed the RC budget suffers.
The County Road Commission should have put this stretch of road on their high maintenance list and then maybe they would not have lost the account. They had seven years to get things right down there so it wasn't a surprise to them.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.