Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I suppose that you'll only understand this is if you own your own land.

On certain days, the only place that I want to hunt is on my own land. This is particularly the case for the archery and firearms owner. I don't mind going to somebody else's camp or lodge as a guest, but not on those particular days.

On two occasions, I was invited by a friend to a very fancy 9,000-acre club in Northern Michigan for the gun opener. Membership is about $8,000 per-year. I absolutely hated it. 30 perfect strangers with nothing really in common. People telling you when to get up, where to hunt, when to come out, when to eat, how to act, when to sleep, bla, bla bla. Plus, I had no vehicle so, if you wanted to go somewhere (like home), you were stuck! I really felt like I was a prisoner!

Now, had that not been opening day of the firearm season, then I probably would have had a more enjoyable time and just rolled with the punches. As it were, all I could think about for those 3 or 4 days was how much I did not want to be there and rather, be 250 miles south, at my own camp, my own land, free to do whatever I frick'n want, with people I know and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Been chasing 2 really nice bucks at one of my spots during bow season at another property. The 20 acres behind the house will be my Nov 15th though with dad and the kids. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of nice deer behind the house, just something about your own land.:)

·
Registered
10,979 Posts
I've been to a few very similar camps in the NLP. I'll only do day trips, no overnights for the exact reasons you mention. Much rather be at my camp.

·
Registered
718 Posts
We unfortunately don't have our our property. I do however know the feeling of being a guest on someone else's land. We have been going to my uncles in-laws land in the UP for about 15 of the last 18 years for the opener of gun season. While I don't feel like a prisoner, it is sometimes tough to feel like you have to tip toe around and make sure you are doing things right. Don't get me wrong, they are great hosts and camp is always a good time, they don't order us around and tell us when or where to go and do this or that. Its just that feeling knowing you are a guest and don't want to step on any toes or overstep your boundries. I am hopefully going to be starting a new job soon, which should be me in a position to where I will be able to buy my own (or split with me dad) land within the next year or 2. It may not be close by, probably somewhere in the northern lower, but at least it will give us a place of our own, where we can come and go when we please year round.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Have had a similar experience. I got invited to a fancy big $ pay hunt by a customer and was really excited but that quickly wore off. Same experience as you. Three days\two nights with people I didn't know and didn't really like hunting on stands someone else scouted and hung in spots I was unfamiliar with. Saw a bunch of big deer but felt like it would be shooting fish in a barrel. Listening to these people beating their chests about the deer they shot that were prescouted, prebaited and questionably fair chase made me want to puke. AND I couldn't leave because I rode down with the customer!!!! I would've had a lot more fun by myself in one of my public land honeyholes.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Listening to these people beating their chests about the deer they shot that were prescouted, prebaited and questionably fair chase made me want to puke.
We think alot alike, sir. I have absolutely zero interest in "hunting" in that fashion, regardless of the size of the animals. MOST of the "hunts" on the popular TV shows are exactly as you describe as well.. count me out. CDAD

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
My personal preference is to abandon my own property for the gun opener. I hunt state land for the first few days up north so that I can hunt with the people that I like to hunt with.

The bucks are certainly bigger in southern Michigan, but it is more the experience and the tradition that gets me.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Wait in line for the crapper, coffee, do they drink??? Worse is a hung over crab batch'n about everything. I hope you stood formation and passed inspection with your gig line squared away LOL!!! I like to hunt alone, but if I do hunt with family and friends it will be at my place that I worked my tail off my entire life. I don't even want to be around 30 strangers if I'm not hunting and have my truck (btw, I go NOWHERE without my truck, non-negotiable:rolleyes:) for occaisions such as that. My excuse not to go, I worked hard my entire life just for this and I'm hunting at my place if you would like to show up more than welcomed, if not see ya when you get back good luck and see ya!:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts