Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to Handloading, how important is the brand of Primers that you use? Most of my recipes are for Winchester Large Bore Primers (which I have). But I also have 1000 CCI Large Bore Primers, that I would like to use. What will change with the different Primers, powder and load being the same as with the Winchesters?:confused: FRANK

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
It depends on the load - certain combinations of powders / bullets / primers can indeed produce major swings in pressures while others may not. If you are near max levels I would back off a couple grains first and then work back up looking for pressure signs.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
With my 30-06, changing from Federal primers to CCI's yielded a change in point of impact of over 4" at 100 yards. Groups are still good, POI is totally different though.

With my 44 Mag Winchester, changing from Winchester primers to CCI's makes groups totally fall apart.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It depends on the load - certain combinations of powders / bullets / primers can indeed produce major swings in pressures while others may not. If you are near max levels I would back off a couple grains first and then work back up looking for pressure signs.
What he said..

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I use primers other than listed in the particular manual I'm looking at all the time. Of course I use the same/correct type of primer, large rifle or whatever. I would only use a magnum primer if the load called for it. I also am usually not loading up near any max, that could be a factor.

I have read an article somewhere that the variance is minimal with a primer change. If in doubt back the charge away from anywhere near max & test away.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Being new to Handloading, how important is the brand of Primers that you use? Most of my recipes are for Winchester Large Bore Primers (which I have). But I also have 1000 CCI Large Bore Primers, that I would like to use. What will change with the different Primers, powder and load being the same as with the Winchesters?:confused: FRANK
One easy way to solve your loading is to use the manuel for which type of primer you are using and their specific recipe. So if you want to use Win. primers use their manuel. If you want to use the CCI primers find a book that gives the recipe for their primers. It pays to have multiple reloading manuels, and one of the best is Lymans, but also use the free ones given out in most good gun shops.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have personally used both CCI and Win primers without issue in serveral loads. Like mentioned, this can throw your grouping off. Some manuals are specific about primers, and others aren't. In any case when changing any component, the prudent thing to do is start at the low end and work your way back up again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is supposedly a difference in hardness between manufactures too. If you have had trigger or action work some primers may work and others may not. I use CCI and have not had a problem with light springs though. Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts