Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks Freepop

Looking at mink. All I can say is ouch!
That’s the only one that’s Lower than what I expected.
Oh well, I’m still setting mink sets starting the 21st. Least I know I won’t have to get a bigger safe for all that mink money.

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After finishing putting up beaver #11 today, I'm not thrilled. Six more to go and I found some fresh sign this afternoon. I hope I can average better than $13. Almost averaged that on muskrats a few years ago.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Wow can't believe the prices stay so low for everything still, rats and coons have been really low for a couple years now, I used to trap quite a bit but when the prices got that low I couldnt justify to keep doing it, always had alot of fun, now I just deer hunt more haha, props to you guys for keeping after it with those prices, I miss it sometimes

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Wow can't believe the prices stay so low for everything still, rats and coons have been really low for a couple years now, I used to trap quite a bit but when the prices got that low I couldnt justify to keep doing it, always had alot of fun, now I just deer hunt more haha, props to you guys for keeping after it with those prices, I miss it sometimes
Me too...I still have all my traps and stuff....
Guess I am 50 years too late

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
After finishing putting up beaver #11 today, I'm not thrilled. Six more to go and I found some fresh sign this afternoon. I hope I can average better than $13. Almost averaged that on muskrats a few years ago.
Where you there to see the quality of some of the fur. I only ask because they could have been mostly damaged spring beaver or something. First sale of the season could have skins on the early side or late caught stuff that was held over.
I’m like you hoping for a little better on beaver. I’ve got a couple dozen to finish up yet.

Kinda trying to keep hope alive while I put up beaver:)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My grandpa told me he checked his traps on the way to school one morning and he caught a mink. This was about 1935 or so. He brought the mink to school and one of the teachers helped him skin it. He said he got $20 for that mink. That was more than his dad made in a week. I don’t know what the conversion is to today’s dollars but I do know I’d love to get a weeks paycheck for a mink!
Grandpa said all the girls in school were making eyes at him after that.

I know no girls are making eyes at me when I catch one now. Even my wife just says you stink why do you like catching those smelly things.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My grandpa told me he checked his traps on the way to school one morning and he caught a mink. This was about 1935 or so. He brought the mink to school and one of the teachers helped him skin it. He said he got $20 for that mink. That was more than his dad made in a week. I don’t know what the conversion is to today’s dollars but I do know I’d love to get a weeks paycheck for a mink!

I know no girls are making eyes at me when I catch one now. Even my wife just says you stink why do you like catching those smelly things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where you there to see the quality of some of the fur. I only ask because they could have been mostly damaged spring beaver or something. First sale of the season could have skins on the early side or late caught stuff that was held over.
I’m like you hoping for a little better on beaver. I’ve got a couple dozen to finish up yet.

Kinda trying to keep hope alive while I put up beaver:)
No, I wasn't there and that may be the case. I hope so.

Reactions: Fool'em

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

My friend's Dad grew up around that time (the great depression) and he said he was overcome with joy when he got a mink as it meant he could get a new pair of boots, otherwise he'd have to continue the wear the old one with all the holes in it. I really loved talking trapping with him, he was quite a character. He went to the big trap line in the sky last year.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Well, I've sold a lot of $1.50 rats. Out of all my outdoor activities trapping comes the closest to paying. I put $300 in fuel at a crack in my salmon boat. All the work and money to deer hunt, waterfowl hunt. I enjoy being in the marsh. I lose 20 pounds every year trapping. No gym fees. If I'm on a good rat marsh, I can catch 50 to 150 per day. I'll keep trapping. Here's what I did today.
View media item 122119

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, I've sold a lot of $1.50 rats. Out of all my outdoor activities trapping comes the closest to paying. I put $300 in fuel at a crack in my salmon boat. All the work and money to deer hunt, waterfowl hunt. I enjoy being in the marsh. I lose 20 pounds every year trapping. No gym fees. If I'm on a good rat marsh, I can catch 50 to 150 per day. I'll keep trapping. Here's what I did today.
View media item 122119
Now that is an impressive haul!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
$4 average on fall rats is not that bad considering the state the market is in right now.
I’m hoping to get on the ice and get a few more yet this season. I’ve got a farm that has quite a pile of them in their marsh this year. I’ll just have to set a few canine traps to get access to the rats but that will make for a fun stop.

Still like catching mink the best but rats pay the fuel bill.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Heck I remember in the early 90s selling rats for .75 cents - 1.75 max to a local buyer. At the time a buck mink was $20-$30. I will take a $4.00 average on rats any day!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts