Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my propane cost were $1.21/gallon in Rose City. This year they are $1.40 (so far) and the price keeps going up.

I have baseboard heat so I have to keep the heat on. I am thinking of shutting off the upstairs zones and using oil filled electric heaters thereby only heating those rooms when we are there. My worst bill was $400/month and we only heated the place to 45F with 8 days at 72F.

How much are you guys paying a gallon?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Energy prices are/have going crazy. CP just released a press notice to make folks aware that the average NG bill will rise $30/month this winter. I'm not sure what the average bill is but that has to be a 15-20% rise. Oh well, what ya gonna do?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I locked in with Amerigas last month at .899 for the first 400 gal. and the contract stated that I would never get charged over 1.14 a gal. for 2 years and if the market price is below 1.14, I would get the cheaper rate. That is in the mid-mi area. I was totally shocked at huge gap in prices being charged from 1 company to another. It pays to shop around.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Simmons
Energy prices are/have going crazy. Oh well, what ya gonna do?
Write them and tell them you do not believe them when they say they need to raise the rates. Go to their public meetings in Lansing with the Mi energy board and protest their rate increases, and ask them to justify why they need to raise them. Just like we defeat the anti's, they are all the same. Without any concern against the raise they will get more than they asked for.:)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Propane is tough. They get you coming and going. This year, I purchased my own tank. I paid just under $1,000 for the tank and setup. However, I can now buy propane from anywhere without the extra charge of insurance. When you lease a tank from a propane company, they charge you extra for liablility insurance. I prebought 1500 gallons of propane for .949 a gallon. Hopefully this will last me all winter. You can find the tanks cheaper if you look around. A friend of mine purchased one in the Howell area for around $650. Now that's a deal.

·
Registered
510 Posts
SARdog,

I don't have that kind of time. I'll pay the extra couple hundred per year. To take valuable time away from my family and job would be counterproductive. Oh well, what ya gonna do?:)

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
My natural gas line should be flowing by Nov15th. Can't wait to be out of LP. Delivery of 500Galx1.69Gal in the dead of winter hurts the pocket book pretty hard. I used 1100 Gallons last winter..

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Mine is capped at the 'bargain rate' of no higher than $1.40/gal this winter.

I also cut down & split 10 face cord of my own wood to burn this winter.

What a rip-off.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Bounty Hunter...

Geo-Thermal is the way to go if you can afford the up front cost. It's got to save you tons of money on the monthly bill!

·
Banned
7,550 Posts
I am glad it was in the house when I bought it. A friend of mine who built his house(1800 sq ft.) paid roughly 15,000 for his new but in the long haul it will pay for itself. My worst electric bill I get is 150.00 and the entire house from dryer to stove is electric.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Originally posted by bounty hunter
I am glad it was in the house when I bought it. A friend of mine who built his house(1800 sq ft.) paid roughly 15,000 for his new but in the long haul it will pay for itself. My worst electric bill I get is 150.00 and the entire house from dryer to stove is electric.
$150 a month, I could only hope! LOL! Bounty Hunter are you ever home? $15,000! Last year we got a new furnace and added A/C. I paid $1,800 for it new (gas/forced air) furnace w/AC. We're on the "budget" for gas and pay $60.00 a month. Electric bill on the budget is $105.00 a month, must be the kids and 3 refrigerators? Our house is a little under 1,200 sq. feet so I guess I don't feel to bad.

·
Banned
7,550 Posts
Our house is about 1700 sq feet or and with 3 kids and a lot of washing and drying for 5 people I thought that was pretty good for the coldest month last year? I heard of some people getting socked for 300 a month propane bills last winter..

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
The price of propane has been causing me to blow my water lines out the last few times i've been up there instead of leaving the furnace set at 40 or 45 and leaving it running. I don't want to pay another 300 bucks to fill that tank very soon.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Banditto,You might want to check into pre pay next year.I used 700 gallons last year to heat 1300 square feet, 2600 with the basement.This year I pre- paid 700 galons and got it for 1.19.This has to be done in the summer with Ferrellgas..If you get it locked in it is more but never goes above the amount you are locked in at...

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
like craig did i locked in at $.899 and the highest i will pay is $1.19.that was a 3 year contract with pennington.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I burn oil with a high efficiency gun. My total heating bill last fall through spring was around $600 for a 1350 sq. ranch with walkout finished basement. I do not turn down the t-stat.

The cheapest thing you can do is insulate. This includes caulking and things like storm windows. If your closing up a cabin for the winter, I'd put some 1" foam sheet insulation over the windows to insulate them.

GEO thermal does not have a good investment to payback ratio. They are very efficient, but with the high cost of installation and electricity, it will take 10 years to break even over installation of conventional heat and a/c. By then, your probably due for a compressor replacement, or have leaks in the system. These compressors are not the garden variety used in standard a/c. And, if there's a leak in the gound, sorry about your luck. Can you say megga bucks?

Replace that old heater with a high efficiency unit. Be it oil, propane, or natural gas, you can save some money. BUT, you need to look at investment vs payback. An old 60% efficient heater burning $400 / month is putting $240 in the house and $160 out the stack. A 95% efficient heater burning the same $400 will put $380 in the house and only $20 out the vent. Basically, $140 per month savings. Do the math to find out how long to pay off a new furnace.

Oil filled electric heaters are no more efficient or cost effective than any other electric heater. One watt of power is equal to 3.414 BTU. Look at the info tag. A 1500w heater has a rating of 5120 BTU per hour. It doesn't matter if your heating the room air directly, or heating oil, that in turn heats the air. Other than the initial cost of the heater, you get to the same place, the same way, at the same cost. If you have whole house electric heat, buying these small heaters will do nothing more than cost you the extra money for these heaters. Use of these heaters are good to eliminate small, localized cold spots or rooms.

The only heater with a difference is radiant. It heats objects, that in turn heat the room. If the heater is directed towards you, you get the warmth first. If your walking around, it's not beneficial.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Oh, and one other thing. A lot is said of the cost of running a furnace fan. All the electrical power is converted to heat, thus the cost is ultimately used as heat in the building. This is benificial for heating, not so good, but needed for a/c.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a new trane horizontal mount efficient furnace in the basement of this house. My highest gas bill last year was $80, and $30 of that was the stupid gas pipeline transport fee and customer service charge. Kept the thermostat at 65 during the day and turned it down to 60 at night. I grew up living in the basement and it was a constant 55* year yound. Many cold nights, but it was nice in the summer until you started up the stairs then the that heat would hit you.:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts