Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from the Oakland Press:

MANN, PRESTON; of Lapeer/Metamora (formerly of Wayne); age 85. Preston Mann passed peacefully in the presence of his family on March 24, 2004 after a long bout with Alzheimers disease. Funeral services 11 a.m. Saturday, March 27, 2004 at Immaculate Conception Church, Lapeer. Visitation 1-4 and 6-8 p.m. Friday. Surviving are, loving wife Mary Ann Mann of Lapeer; children, Preston H. Mann of Brown City, Jay Mann of Key West, FL, Charles (Janet) Mann of Lapeer and Maureen Mann of Milan, Italy; grandchildren, Sarah, Preston E., McNeill, Travis and Eric; sister, Ethel Sorbie of Dunedin, FL; he was preceded in death by parents, Charles Preston and Ethel (Dickson) Mann and brother Dickson Mann. As a soldier during W.W. II Preston trained dogs for the Army and after his discharge he opened the Preston Mann K-9 school where he trained dogs for hunting, obedience and personal protection. In 1951 he moved the dog kennel to Metamora, Michigan. His passion for bird hunting with dogs led to his desire to expand the bird hunting season. He successfully lobbied the Michigan Legislature to allow Gamebird Hunting Preserves to enjoy hunting nine months of the year. His first hunting preserve, the Metamora Shoot, Inc. opened in 1958. His skill as a dog trainer, his excellent insight into human nature and his uncanny ability to tell stories endeared him to the entire sporting community not only in Michigan, but Nationally and Internationally. Until his death he remained active at the Hunters Creek Club, Inc. which he founded in 1964. The club has been owned and operated by his son Charlie since 1993 and remains one of the favorite destinations for hunters from across the country to enjoy pheasant hunting and true tales about experiences a field. Memorials may be made to North American Game Bird Scholarship Fund, Leader Dogs for the Blind, Suncrest Auxiliary or the Alzheimers Association. Arrangements by Muir Brothers Funeral Home, Lapeer. 810-664-8111.

On a side note, I met and "interviewed" with Mr Mann many years ago when I was starting my professional dog training career. He could not have been nicer or more helpful.
He will be sadly missed by those in the dog community.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I never knew he was that old and had Alzheimers. It didn't show the last time I saw him on TV. I really like a lot of his training ideas. He was gentle handed with the dogs when so many trainers would rather beat the training into the dogs instead of drawing out the natural abilities.

Sad to hear.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Duckman, you may be thinking of his son Preston who is seen on one of the Michigan hunting shows that airs on PBS. He is the owner of Farmland Pheasant Hunters in Brown City.

Sorry to hear the news.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by Grouseman2
Duckman, you may be thinking of his son Preston who is seen on one of the Michigan hunting shows that airs on PBS. He is the owner of Farmland Pheasant Hunters in Brown City.

Sorry to hear the news.
Thanks Grouseman2 and L&O. You're right. I must be thinking of Jr.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Very sad news. Preston was a true gentleman who I respected and admired a great deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts