Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt a smaller farm and the surrounding properties are hunted as well. What are some areas and things I can do to up my odds of getting on a buck. Or any experiences hunting pressured private? Thanks!

·
Registered
18,272 Posts
Cameras and time spent on a given parcel can turn up interesting adaptations/response/reaction times of pressured deer.
A deer can hit the deck early and wait hunters out. Then get to where they wanted to go in the first place ,or resume activity.

Pressured does not mean they evaporate.
IF substantial cover exists deer can hole up till traffic clears ,or at least lets up.
Our not seeing them means what?

It's not easy to sleep in and hit your stand at 10:30 A.M. to hunt deer that move mid day. Not saying your sites deer do ,or will. But if you start getting burned out ,try it.
(I can do it . L.o.l..)

When cameras or past experience tells you mid day will work ,go with what the deer want.
Want as far as time ,and location.

Site specific.
All day sit vs times deer choose to be active.

All bets are off the first week of rifle. Or maybe longer.
Up to the deer.
IF you have the security cover and deer in the locale , they should combine.
Catch them going in and out ,or beat them into it.

Here's a pic I post too often that reminds me deer move when they want. (And when I'm not there).
He'd been nicked nearby one of the first two days.

WGI_0137.JPG

·
Registered
35,274 Posts
Only hunt when wind conditions are perfect for your hunt.

Only enter and exit when condition are perfect for your pre determined route that doesn’t spook deer. I get to my best afternoon spots real early. If I can’t make it by 1:00pm I do not hunt those spots. Best is when I get there by 6:00am an wait.

Have multiple stand locations for different conditions. Hunt each stand no more than a couple times per season. Each stand needs it’s own entry exit route.

Do all you scouting after the season ends and into the spring.

Don’t run cameras, trust your set ups based on spring scouting.

Resist the urge to sneak a peak at your set ups after the 4th of July.

Do not hunt prior to the week of Halloween if older deer are your goal. If any buck is your goal hunt opening day.

Pressure is cumulative. Every hunt reduces your chances. First time is best time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
We have stands hung and trimmed in August. We don't enter the property at all during September even to pull cards.

Lots of stands up so you have options for winds. I like to hunt perimeter stands until the rut starts. November 7th was the first time I was in the interior of the woods and I shot a 10 point around noon.

Sometimes less is more especially in October. If the wind is wrong don't push your luck.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If I could only have one thing it would be cover (bedding). Deer will move onto and out of that cover during shooting hours more than they will be at a food source during daylight hours. Entry and exit strategies are key for not spooking deer. They luke thick cover during daylight and open fields at night.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Try to sit all day if you can. Hunters from nearby areas will get up and head back for lunch or walk around just to warm up. That's the time you want to be ready. They'll kick deer past you. My brother killed a big buck near Baldwin when a guy got cold and started to walk around on State Land.

Reactions: Stubee

·
Registered
20,126 Posts
Minimize your presence to the deer.....via Ingres, egress, scent control and mistakes in the woods. The less they know you are there or have been there the more the deer think they are safe there.
In addition to Smith34's post, find the food & find the water & play the wind.
It very well may take you a few seasons to figure all this out. Once you figure it out the deer seem to stay pretty close to those patterns.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Do not hunt prior to the week of Halloween if older deer are your goal. If any buck is your goal hunt opening day.
Interesting.. I've been listening to alot of Dan Infalts stuff, and reading lots on forums and it's pretty much agreed across the board that opening day of bow is the very best oppurtunity to kill a mature buck, even more so than the pre rut/rut. Evening to be specific. Not saying your wrong, just playing devils advocate here and wondering why you have this opinion.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Interesting.. I've been listening to alot of Dan Infalts stuff, and reading lots on forums and it's pretty much agreed across the board that opening day of bow is the very best oppurtunity to kill a mature buck, even more so than the pre rut/rut. Evening to be specific. Not saying your wrong, just playing devils advocate here and wondering why you have this opinion.
If you can identify and pattern a target that is still in their summer routine, then yes go get em opening day of bow if you already know where he is gonna be. On the other hand, their is going to be a lot more movement by every buck from the end of october through mid november and keeping stands fresh until then ensures the roaming bucks wont come across anything that will turn them off on the area and the resident doe groups will be at ease around your set ups as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Dan Infalt is a cool dude & i also like listening to what he says but when it comes to hunting a small property he might be the last guy on the planet to listen to. Did u see him during the michigan challenge? He is one giant human stink bomb. If u do this on a small private property u would run off every deer by the second week of October.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you can identify and pattern a target that is still in their summer routine, then yes go get em opening day of bow if you already know where he is gonna be. On the other hand, their is going to be a lot more movement by every buck from the end of october through mid november and keeping stands fresh until then ensures the roaming bucks wont come across anything that will turn them off on the area and the resident doe groups will be at ease around your set ups as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Good points there, makes sense.

Dan Infalt is a cool dude & i also like listening to what he says but when it comes to hunting a small property he might be the last guy on the planet to listen to. Did u see him during the michigan challenge? He is one giant human stink bomb. If u do this on a small private property u would run off every deer by the second week of October.
Well yeah if you want to hunt just one small property over and over I can seehow you might have different tactics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts