Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WAS ON LAKE ST. CLAIR LAST FRIDAY 4-14-00, FISHING FOR SMALLMOUTH, CAUGHT 4 OF THE BEST SMALLMOUTH I HAVE EVER CAUGHT, ALL OVER 20 INCHES. THE PROBLEM IS THAT ONE OF MY BUDDIES TELLS ME THAT I SHOULDN'T CATCH AND RELEASE THESE FISH BEFORE THEY SPAWN, I FEEL THAT WHEN THEY ARE IN THE PRESPAWN MODE IT DOESN'T HURT A THING, WHEN THEY ARE ACTUALLY ON THEIR BEDS I AGREE THAT THEY SHOULDN'T BE CAUGHT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?????? FISHHOOK

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good question, (this should be a good debate). Here its illegal to even fish for a species out of season,(whoops those bass just keep jumping my crappie rig). But in many parts of the country is not only legal, but its the best time to go hunting for a wall hanger.
I would be conserned more about spawn and post spawn fish than pre-spawn, Pre-spawn is a very aggressive time for bass as they get in the last of their feeding befor the spawn.
Of course everybody knows the damage done by yanking bass off their beds, but not as many know that most bass mortality happens in the few days after the spawn , when bass are at their weakest.
To catch one on accident is one thing but to target them should be avoided.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fishhook, I KNOW that you were not fishing for smallmouth out of season! According to the guidebook, Smallmouth and Largemouth season for Lake St. Clair starts in June! The 17th to be exact. Everywhere else is the Saturday before Memorial Day (except for the exception lakes in Oakland County)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Catch and release can be done on Cass, Pontiac and Kent lake right now in Oakland County. Genesee, Muskegon and Newaygo Counties also have lakes that are affected by the special catch and release season that started April 1st. Good Luck!

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I agree with some of the other posts fishhook, if you get caught targeting bass don't be crying how unfair it is, of course your probably going to be bad mouthing the CO that catches you.

I also think it is unethical to target bass prior to season!

·
Registered
92 Posts
TAKE COVER! IMMINENT RETALIATORY STRIKE! I REPEAT, IMMINENT RETALIATORY STRIKE! EVERYONE HEAD TO YOUR FLAME-PROOF SHELTERS, AND DON YOUR FLAME-PROOF SUITS! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Why not close all fishing, except the Great Lakes and Lake St. Clair, from ice out until the 3rd. Saturday in May?

No chance of a Bass jumping on any hook then. This would also stop fishing bedding fish.

Ok, now it is always the other guy who is breaking the law and none of us would really fish for a species out of season. Well this would put a stop to it real quick.

I live on the water and watch the boats come and go. From early in the boating season the anglers are on the lakes looking for fish. With a strong pair of field glasses, I see the lures and tackle being used and these guys are not fishing for panfish!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts