Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m a new trapper that really only started trapping seriously last year. I tried to follow all the advice I could find with predator trapping when it came to trap prep and how to build the proper sets, etc. I’m not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I never even got a predator to even come close enough to look at my set… I’m pretty sure I was bedding things properly as I got a couple possums and a few domestic cats, but I’m not sure if I didn’t prepare the sets well enough or if there isn’t even predators running in the areas I was making sets. I read somewhere that coyotes usually would only walk through an area once a week, so I would usually keep the sets there for three weeks or so and would rescent them every week.

I attached a satellite image of my trapline and I kind of roughly marked out where I had made sets.
It is possible that I just don’t have many predators running through this area often, but if there were, where would be the best natural funnel where I would have the best luck with catching a fox, coyote, or bobcat?

Also, I wonder if somehow I left my scent on the set and scared away the animals. If that’s the case, how strict should I be with keeping scent off my traps and trapping tools, and what are some practical ways to keep them scent free? I usually wore rubber dipped cotton gloves and rubbed dirt over them before touching the traps and kept the traps in a separate bucket then the tools and scents. Is that good enough, or should I be doing more to keep my scent off? Thank you guys so much for your answers!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Follow Sureshot's advise, you want to look for tracks along the road and poop. Are you using just dirt hole sets? I don't know how long your line is but, it seems that 10 single traps sets, is a lot. There is an old saying, that if you have a good spot for 1 set, then you have a good spot for 2 or 3. Are you using the same lure and urine at each set? I try to use at least 3 different lures and 3 urines (fox,bobcat, and mink) or use a combination of these for each set. If your dying and waxing your traps. I don't believe that you have to worry about to much human sent, it is going to be at your set one way or another, just make your set and move on. Some trappers don't even wear gloves.
I don't know where you are located, but try to get to a trappers convention, where they have demos, and you can ask questions. You could also try and find a mentor trapper, who would take you out on a line an show you some of the things they do.
Scouting your area is important. If you don't have the critters, it won't matter how good or sets are, or what your using for bait and lure.

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Just a thought from the picture. You could probably eliminate most of the sets as that would more than likely be a line a yote would follow. 2 at either end amd one where the other ditch meets would be all that's needed imo. Covering more land without targeting the same animals is key. They have a big range. Good luck.

·
Registered
21,956 Posts
I placed a large rock for a pee post where coyote cross a spot the most.
My trapper put a set there year one.
The last season he put a portion of roadkill near it.
That site was enough.
Yes he put other sets farther away in another "route".
He's trapped the adjacent property longer than I've owned mine.

But limited sets can do as well as a truckload of traps. IF on the X..
One good working set on a crap weather day beats a dozen fouled. More so if it's on the best spot that day/night.

Here at home listening , coyote rotate where they are at night when sounding off. A mile to half mile away , closer sometimes , but at most points of the compass. Do I chase where they were last night if I want to make a set?
Or study where they pass through as they cover such a big area and find a common pinch point or X of sorts?
Denning pairs are exceptions , though they can range far to hunt.
As are mating pairs at times.

Keep at it.
Find commonality of confirmed travel areas suitable for a set that eliminate a lot of ground.
Yes they can be lured. Easier when you're right where they want to be (leave sign passing through) already. Or just upwind of it.
Keep records. If varying amount of scent you are putting down for example at different sets , you'll want that information retained when the volume works better than other volumes.
More or less....
How much is just right? And why this day?

You can make mock sets (with no traps) on ground you can see tracks on. And test /study responses.
Get those feet right where you want them to step...How?

Reactions: Spade
1 - 6 of 6 Posts