Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the recent thread on the testing results summary from a three year survey of West Nile Virus incidence in sampled grouse from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. Several comments were made about ruffed grouse population declines in Zone 3 and Zone 2, with several folks pointing their fingers at predators and predation as the principal drivers. While doing some background reading this morning, I came across this summary study from Wisconsin and found several interesting and disturbing findings in their data:

https://www.3billionbirds.org/findings
Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative.jpg

So, the next time you hear someone shouting about predator control needed to preserve bird populations, ask them if they own a cat...and whether that cat is allowed outdoors to roam free.
Yes, most of this data is specific to passerine birds...
IF a grouse can fly into a window or home, it can be killed by a cat that is allowed to roam free. Let's not be too quick to blame the predators who are not pets...particularly in Zone 3.

Note the impacts of habitat restoration and preservation on waterbirds and waterfowl. Yes, Delta Waterfowl does some predator control, but not on a landscape wide basis.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I totally agree on the cats. It took for ever for the DNR to admit that is was predation that was the reason that the Sichuan pheasant fiasco was a bust. There was plenty of fallow fields back then that gave the pheasants cover unlike the lack of them now with the change of farming practices.

Back in the early 60's the farmer where we hunted pheasnents told us to shoot ever crow we could as he watched them force hens off of the nest so they could eat the eggs. Now we have this stupid season on crows. They are nothing but nest robbing, egg eating scum.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm sure cats, buildings, and the rest do take a toll, but we've always had them. There's more to this story than just predation. I'm not going into modern farming, habitat, and the rest. They all affect the bird populations. I'd like to know why the drastic reduction in almost all birds. I don't see the numbers of migrating red wings and starlings that seemed to go on for hours. I don't have the numbers of song birds that I used to see. Even the local ducks seems to be way down. Not sure what the cause or causes are but this is something I've never witnessed before.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I do my best!
It's a fact.I saw many cats at a pheasant restoration area.I do not tolerate feral cats.And if that don't worry you the young bald eagle that I have seen 2 out of 3 trips should.
I also don't let coyotes walk when deer hunting ever.I send it.If every deer gun season hunter shot coyotes on sight we would have an amazing impact.600,000 plus deer hunters out for at least the first couple days would make a huge dent and create a much needed balance.All those eyes out there.I would guess 1 in 20 see one and most do not shoot because it will ruin the deer hunting.Then that night they will say the coyotes came around and ruined the deer hunting.lmao!
And I always say that is a solvable problem.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I'm sure cats, buildings, and the rest do take a toll, but we've always had them. There's more to this story than just predation. I'm not going into modern farming, habitat, and the rest. They all affect the bird populations. I'd like to know why the drastic reduction in almost all birds. I don't see the numbers of migrating red wings and starlings that seemed to go on for hours. I don't have the numbers of song birds that I used to see. Even the local ducks seems to be way down. Not sure what the cause or causes are but this is something I've never witnessed before.
They are dying off.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...idely-used-pesticide-makes-birds-lose-weight/

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Feral cats should be an endangered species near any game area. I have often seen them at Fish Point when running my dog in the summer.

Some have been the unfortunate victim of a firearm accident during the pheasant season.

A week ago, I shot a common rat while pheasant hunting. That was a first for me.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Morris has not left the house for 14 years. Neither has CC, Jose or Missy!
All were feral cats until they met me, I tamed them up, neutered and enjoy immensely.
Just think of all the birds i have saved over the years.

Hal

Reactions: thelastlemming

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just make sure the cats you are shooting are feral. A couple years ago my familys beloved family cat got out unintentionally. It wore a pink collar with a little bell on it. Well it came back to the house with its front jaw shot off and a 22 bullet stuck in its face. My mom found it and was scarred and had to take pooky to be put down.

Dont get me wrong, I also think cats belong indoors. Me and my wife have one, i got sick of seeing mice in my house and he keeps them at bay. All im saying i guess is atleast make sure they dont have a collar on... Ill shoot any crow that flies over but id be hard pressed to shoot something that might be someones beloved pet.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
My house and cabin are both in the woods. Cats are dumped off and left all of the time. The animal shelters, up here, are full up with cats. Enough said.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Just make sure the cats you are shooting are feral. A couple years ago my familys beloved family cat got out unintentionally. It wore a pink collar with a little bell on it. Well it came back to the house with its front jaw shot off and a 22 bullet stuck in its face. My mom found it and was scarred and had to take pooky to be put down.

Dont get me wrong, I also think cats belong indoors. Me and my wife have one, i got sick of seeing mice in my house and he keeps them at bay. All im saying i guess is atleast make sure they dont have a collar on... Ill shoot any crow that flies over but id be hard pressed to shoot something that might be someones beloved pet.
Wasn't me.

I agree with you. I never want to shoot someone's pet.

Cats should not be abandoned or running free in a state game area.

In that article that I cited, they mention that the cats have recovered and they do not feel it is safe to release them. WTF?????

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wasn't me.

I agree with you. I never want to shoot someone's pet.

Cats should not be abandoned or running free in a state game area.

In that article that they mention that the cats have recovered and they do not feel it is safe to release them. WTF?????
Just read the article...lol wow. Now dont get me wrong i would never shoot an animal non lethaly and just let it suffer, that is plain wrong. But if there is a known feral cat colony why in the world would you be trying to protect it/grow it!!

Agreed also that feral cats are a problem and that if they are obviously living in the wild need to be taken care of.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I will throw a curve ball, or something to think on. No area has more feral cats or wild cats and dogs then in a city. Why then is there an abundant pheasant population in the city of Detroit? That is if wild cats and dogs are the reason for lack of game birds?

Cats are killers and one study suggests house cats indoor/outdoor cats or outdoor cats not wild. Actually kill an average of 200 songbirds a year. The study also shown the significant killers or one that killed more we're ones well fed. They actually killed far more being fully healthy but killed for practice and/or sport rather than for food. Not sure if this is correct but was on PBS about a decade or so ago.

All data can be askew to show what one wishes to show. Not many house windows where I use to hunt grouse, actually none. Especially considering a grouse home turf is 40 acres. Also never seen a cat back there unless your talking about bobcat. Even in zone 3 where windows can be a possibility I never seen a cat or track in the snow for that matter. I did see coyote or fox and the tracks and scat left behind. I imagine they were the reason for no cats or cat tracks.

I knew of a group who hunted coyote at Highland rec area. They took at least 6 a year. What you may notice is the flyers everywhere of missing cats and small dogs in and around the area as well. Anyway something to think about.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Was there ever a time when barns in farm country weren't full of cats?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Cats kills a insane amount of well..... everything!
People will shout about a loose dog but a cat that roams is just normal. Have never understood why it’s not legal to shot feral cats in MI.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Back in the early 60's the farmer where we hunted pheasnents told us to shoot ever crow we could as he watched them force hens off of the nest so they could eat the eggs. Now we have this stupid season on crows. They are nothing but nest robbing, egg eating scum.
I was talking with a buddy about the crow season here, can anyone explain to me why it is when it is and not when they are migrating?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts