Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lab just turned 1 year old last week, and I just took him on his first hunt this past Sunday. It was a great little warm up before the season--on a preserve, with 15 planted pheasants. He found and staunchly pointed all 15 pheasants (that pic only has about 9 of them, the others were in the truck already), and even got a bonus quail that must have been lingering around from training. He's pointed every bird he's ever been put on, except for his first two birds at 6 months that he bumped, but he still surprised me with his steadiness--this past summer at training he would give chase once the birds took flight, but this past Sunday he remained steady to wing each time, it was very exciting for me. He held his point as long as we needed each time, and didn't break and flush once. So proud of this little dude! Can't wait to hit the grouse woods in a few weeks!

The little guy also earned his SHR title the day before, so it really was a weekend to remember!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
just remember not to get frustrated come season. Grouse aren't pheasant, nor are they pen raised birds. I hunted with a guy on wild birds last year that was going on about his dog and how he had it professionally trained and all this. We turned around and it was 150 yards away chasing and flushing roosters. Not ideal for a pointing lab. haha. Good job on the pup and looking forward to pics.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just remember not to get frustrated come season. Grouse aren't pheasant, nor are they pen raised birds. I hunted with a guy on wild birds last year that was going on about his dog and how he had it professionally trained and all this. We turned around and it was 150 yards away chasing and flushing roosters. Not ideal for a pointing lab. haha. Good job on the pup and looking forward to pics.
Thanks! I totally agree. I have no expectations for him to perform like he did on Sunday when it comes to wild grouse in a few weeks. This is an ongoing learning experience for the both of us.... a VERY fun one at that!

Reactions: JBooth

·
Registered
826 Posts
don't loose your cool with pats with a young dog. Tricky birds. when the woodcock or around you will Know you're dogs knowledge. move slow through the woods and let him figure it out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Congrats on the title and the hunt. He's a good looking dog. Should be a lot of fun in the woods with him this fall regardless.

Reactions: Lamarsh

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I will report back after the grouse and woodcock mayhem. This year's focus for me is to just get him on as many birds as I can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! I will report back after the grouse and woodcock mayhem. This year's focus for me is to just get him on as many birds as I can.
I would like some feedback for sure. I run two pointing labs. They both kick butt hunting planted birds with solid points and retrieves. They do equally well on woodcock. Grouse however are always and challenge with a very steep learning curve. Grouse in my experience tend to bump under minimal pressure. The first hand full of birds each years are bumps. Be patient, good things come with time.

What bloodline is your dog out of? He is a very handsome animal!

Tim

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on your young dog's performance sound like he's coming along nicely. Just don't expect the same thing come October 20th as wild pheasants don't play fair for pointers... They are track stars.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would like some feedback for sure. I run two pointing labs. They both kick butt hunting planted birds with solid points and retrieves. They do equally well on woodcock. Grouse however are always and challenge with a very steep learning curve. Grouse in my experience tend to bump under minimal pressure. The first hand full of birds each years are bumps. Be patient, good things come with time.

What bloodline is your dog out of? He is a very handsome animal!

Tim
I appreciate those kind words. Jackson is out of Sauk River Labs--Fehr's Blaze x Sauk River's Foxxy. Lots of Black Forest / Bearpoints dogs, and as far as some of the "flagship" PLs go (not that it necessarily matters) he has some Grits and Risky Raider in him, as well as Sauk River's Featherstorm of course, to name a few off the top of my head. Jackson's breeder, however, has a very detailed program for qualifying dogs to use in his breeding, and it is not necessarily limited to titles--he evaluates dogs first hand for pointing instinct and other valuable traits.

I will certainly let you know how he does on grouse. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
645 Posts
nice job Jackson.
what preserve? (or does that fall under giving out locations? :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts