Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a new hunting dog and came across one at the local animal shelter. It is a stray and they say it is less then a year old. I was looking for puppies and have always got puppies before. My concern is if i get the dog from the pound is that i am not sure type of dog it is; hunting or house, or been beat or anything.
I know the person at the pound and she would let me have it to test it out. So i was wondering if anybody else has done or tried a hunting dog from the pound and how i should test it out. It's a GSP and i have had that breed before.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Welcome to the forms Reddbud. One of my best all around hunting dogs years ago I got was from the pound it was a beagle/brittney mix. What this dog was before really doesn't make a difference it's what you due with it now. Give it a good home if you want to hunt it take it out and just be patient you both will have a learning experience. Before you take it out make sure it's was a chance to bond to you and try to teach it to come (here) when you call, this I believe is the most important thing a dog needs to learn. The rest can and will come with time good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts