Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone pot conifer or fruit tree seedlings before? The past few years i've planted norways and white pines and haven't been able to get a good success rate. Last years tree order, i noticed my seedlings were bigger than years before and had barely any die off on me.

This year i plan on getting a bunch of 1 gallon pots and potting them with intentions of letting them grow a year or so, then transplanting them. I'm going to be keeping them behind the house so i can keep them well watered and fertilized to give them a jump start.

I see some conservation disctricts offer transplant trees at a higher price than seedlings. This is my goal but trying to achieve a higher success rate while keeping cost in mind. I plan on potting 50 norway, 50 white pine and 10 crabapple(5 gallon pots).

Thoughts, advice, ideas?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just planted 200 Norway Spruce in one and two gallon containers. I have two beds made from 2 x 10. One is 4 x 24 , the other 4 x 20. I pot them up, cover with mulch and let them grow one year or two , depending upon how big they get. I seldom loose a tree this way. If I plant them bare root and have a hot dry summer I end up with a hugh loss.
I also have planted nanny berry and ninebark already this spring and put them in the beds .

In the beds I keep an eye on so they are watered . I get a good root system established and when I plant them out in thespring they take off and grow.

On my property in Missaukee Co., I have already planted 40 - 4ft high norways this springs . Between snows I might add. These I purchased and were in 7 gallon containers .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you guys using for potting filler? store-bought bags? neighbors dirt?

And i could only find 1 gallon for a reasonable price on amazon. where do you guys get yours?

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
I potted about 75 Norway Spruce last spring that had volunteered near a small plantation of NS. All less than 18". Got used 1 gallon pots for free from neighbors. Dirt from my garden. So all costs totaled $0. Good amount of time and labor which I consider no different than gym time during the winter months.
Planted last Labor Day Weekend. Prepped circles larger than a hula-hoop by spraying 3 times last summer. It was rather heavy grass and tall weeds. All looked good last week when I took a look at them. Will protect from grass and weeds this summer and maybe next.

L & O

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Just remember when bedding trees for future transplanting that over watering will hurt you in the long run as much as underwatering! If you water too much, the roots do not spread and form as vigorously as they do when in search of water. That larger root system can help you during the next transplant. This is often why you dont see much growth above ground from a transplant for a couple years and it suddenly takes off, all growth and energy was in the root system.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I get my pots for free from local nurseries and I also only use large pots. I also fill those pots with dirt from my property its about the only thing I get back free LOL!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
See my post above . I grew up in the nursery - greenhouse business . I mix dirt with peat moss and sand . About 1/3 of potting soil will be sand and peat moss with 2/3 dirt. I am sixty years old and have trees ( mostly norways and white pine) anywhere from 2 ft to 35 ft high . Have very high survival rate, with my system. A good source for pots is www.amleo.com A.M.Leonard Co in Piqua , Ohio

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
Buy plugs and forget all the extra work, I have 99% success with plugs. I would never plant another bare root tree again. The 18" Norway plugs that we just got were about $.40 each delivered in the containers from Itasca.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
I bought and planted 150 Norway spruce 2+2 last year. I lost maybe 5 of those.

Mine were from Coldstream.

I sprayed around them and watered for the first few weeks is all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.