Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a phone call around 8:15 last night from a buddy of mine.

Appearently, a 14 foot boat capsized near the south end of Celeron last night. The boat had 4 guys, 2 of which were from Gibraltar.

As my one of my friends daughters were leaving the house she heard screams of help ran into the backyard and looked off the seawall. She saw two blue LED lights flashing and some people screaming.

She ran in the house and told her dad to drop their boat in the water because there was someone screaming for help.

Well they dropped the boat in and rescued these 4 guys. Two of them we swimming in the water and two of them were laying on the top of the capsized boat. They were in the water for close to 20 minutes by the time my buddies pulled them out.

They called 911 and took them over to Lake Erie Metro Park where they were met my the Police and Rescue. Two of the guys were in pretty bad shape due to hypothermia.

The reason why I am posting this is if you hear who these guys maybe please let me know. My friends that resuced them would like to know how they are doing.

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Somehow I have a funny feeling that your friends will hear from these guys. These guys were very lucky that your friends were there and able to provide what was neccessary to save their lives. Great ending to to what could have been a tradgic story! :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Glad to hear they made it out of the water. Four people in a 14 ft boat in freezing conditions is not something I would try, but no matter what the conditions it could happen to any of us. Your friend no doubt saved their lives as 20 minutes is about all a person could take in those conditions.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Your friend should be very proud of his daughter. Not only was she alert but she had the presence of mind to know what needed to be done. Hopefully, the people involved are doing better today.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Which way was the wind blowing lastnight? That's an extraordinary rough spot with any sort of wind from the south....Glad they made it.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard they were all released from the hospital that night with no major injuries. 2 of the men were wearing gore-tex hunting suits and the other 2 snowmobile suits. Apparently a wave came over the bow and capsized them.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
The winds were blowing pretty good out of the East yesterday, glad to hear they're OK!!!

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
I'm glad to hear that they are going to be OK...Looks like they were pretty close to taking a dirt nap.... I can't believe anyone would load 4 people in a 14' and head out in 32 degree water... So much for common sense!!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well...what we always said in law enforcement is that "it seems impossible to protect people from themselves". 4 guys in a 14 foot boat in the summer on a calm day??? Maybe......but 4 guys (or even 3) in a 14 foot boat in the winter with winds ??? What the f*** were they thinkin? Sorry.....but its the truth. I'm just glad as heck they are all ok. Hopefully others can learn something from this and avoid a tragedy in the future. Sometimes these great ideas we get are not so good after all......

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Sometimes fishing fever overcomes common sense, Just glad they are O.K. I think the young lady deserves alot of credit on many different levels...GOOD JOB !!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad they are OK. When I used to live down there I took a couple groups of people off sinking/grounded boats from the dogleg off the south end off celeron. That lake can be very dangerous with how fast it can kick up, currents, and fluctuating water levels.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Glad to hear no one was hurt bad. One question, why would anyone be in a boat on the river at this time of year anyway?
Could they have possibly been walleye fishing. Have there been any walleye boats spoted on the river yet?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They were perch fishing. Something wrong with being in a boat? We were out last night. Most of the people in that area( gibraltar) leave their boats, and use them, all year long

·
Registered
454 Posts
I didn't realize that there was open water fishing on the Detroit river during the winter months. That's real dedication if ya ask me.
Still good to hear noone was injured to seriously.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With the hot water discharge from the edison plant the river doesn't freeze. Right now all canals are open, they have been for weeks now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts