Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...ers-lungs-surgeon-says/ar-BB1cKDpR?li=BBnb7Kz

Post-COVID lungs worse than the worst smokers' lungs, surgeon says

upload_2021-1-15_10-2-7.png

A Texas trauma surgeon says it's rare that X-rays from any of her COVID-19 patients come back without dense scarring. Dr. Brittany Bankhead-Kendall tweeted, "Post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smoker's lung we've ever seen. And they collapse. And they clot off. And the shortness of breath lingers on... & on... & on."

Something to look forward to, if you've had covid. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
In just a little under 2 1/2 months after being discharged from the ICU for his bout of COVID, our son is now free to cut the cord from his oxygen generator. What his long term prospects are for getting back to work with physical therapy still going on is still a question.

So much for the main talking point being that almost no one dies from this virus. Why they don't show the numbers of people disabled by COVID is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
28,072 Posts
Same reasons they don't show car accident victims that don't die but have serious life long injuries, same reason they don't show cancer victims life long scars, the list is long.
NHTSA DOES track both traffic fatalities and all crashes ending in emergency hospitalization.... so they don't track "serious lifelong injuries" separately, but they do track injuries serious enough to require hospitalization.

·
Registered
758 Posts
NHTSA DOES track both traffic fatalities and all crashes ending in emergency hospitalization.... so they don't track "serious lifelong injuries" separately, but they do track injuries serious enough to require hospitalization.
I would guess the issue is trackability. If someone dies or doesn't it is pretty black or white. If someone is hospitalized or not it is pretty black or white. Serious long term injuries could be pretty gray so more difficult to track/quantify.

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d say because this “thing” is quite new and the data isn’t really clear yet.
Exactly right. But since we've had 23,760,000 diagnosed cases, and around 400,000 deaths attributed to complications from covid, AND this has been going on for about a year, we'll have some reliable stats in the not-too-distant future. Lots of stats. I wonder what the stats the Insurance companies have right now, look like? ;) I wonder what life insurance policies will be like in another year?

·
Administrator
35,618 Posts
In just a little under 2 1/2 months after being discharged from the ICU for his bout of COVID, our son is now free to cut the cord from his oxygen generator. What his long term prospects are for getting back to work with physical therapy still going on is still a question.

So much for the main talking point being that almost no one dies from this virus. Why they don't show the numbers of people disabled by COVID is beyond me.
Its definitely not pretty. They consider you "recovered" from Covid if you are alive after a month. Doesnt mean you have any quality of life.

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...ers-lungs-surgeon-says/ar-BB1cKDpR?li=BBnb7Kz

Post-COVID lungs worse than the worst smokers' lungs, surgeon says

View attachment 631993
A Texas trauma surgeon says it's rare that X-rays from any of her COVID-19 patients come back without dense scarring. Dr. Brittany Bankhead-Kendall tweeted, "Post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smoker's lung we've ever seen. And they collapse. And they clot off. And the shortness of breath lingers on... & on... & on."

Something to look forward to, if you've had covid. :(
Fear mongering?

Does this data include the hundreds of athletes that have tested positive and are back playing at 100% in 10 to 14 days?

I'm not saying that some % of Covid patients have not had this long term scarring, but you are referencing a trauma surgeon. Of the 100 or so people I know that contracted Covid, not one has needed a trauma surgeon. Only two needed to be hospitalized. Both are back to normal, though I have not seen their chest x-rays.

I think your article is referencing the tiny % of Covid positive people that have ended up hospitalized with acute breathing issues related to pneumonia. And most of those people will have clear lungs over time.

From your article:

"When someone recovers from pneumonia, whether it's a bacterial pneumonia or a viral pneumonia, it's going to take some time for their chest X-rays to improve. Chest X-rays lag your clinical improvement. So you may be better, but your chest X-ray still looks bad," he said. "And we know that people with COVID-19 can get severe pneumonia, and some of that pneumonia will lead to damage to the lungs that will take time to heal. And some of it may be permanent."

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Interesting that you claim to personally know roughly 100 people who have contracted Covid-19, as well as their full medical histories and sequelae. When I took statistics (five terms) we were always admonished not to make inferences or projections beyond what the data indicate or support. There are a number of risk factors that predispose people to "long-Covid", obesity, type-II diabetes, hypertensions, cardiovascular disease. I would encourage you to engage in a broad inspection of their prevalence rates in the United States population to gain a more accurate understanding of overall risk of serious infection. Here is some background data on why this virus attacks the lungs so commonly- roughly 60% of the body stores of Angitensin-2 (ACE-2 subtype A2) are found in the lungs. The remainder is spread all over human organs, including maile testes.

SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins disrupt the blood-brain barrier, new research shows: Potentially raising risk of neurological damage in COVID-19 patients -- ScienceDaily

With regard to your comments on athletes...I suspect that, too, is the result of cherry picking, as well as not being an accurate representation...more along the lines of a generalization based on your preconceptions.

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
Interesting that you claim to personally know roughly 100 people who have contracted Covid-19, as well as their full medical histories and sequelae.
Nice try Cork. Where did you infer the full medical history part?

And with respect to the athletes. I haven't heard of one. Which would definitely be reported in the media. One dude had the heart issue...which was a pre-existing condition only discovered because of the rigors of examination initiated when he tested positive.

You're wandering.

I'll stick to Fishindude's post being fear mongering.

Edit: I had no preconceived notions about Covid until I "learned" that a high % of people contracting Covid would die...information widely spread in the MSM and by fear mongering guys like Fishindude back in the March / April time frame.

Serious stuff, absolutely. Everybody that gets it is going to have long term lung scarring...absolute fear mongering.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Nice try Cork. Where did you infer the full medical history part?

And with respect to the athletes. I haven't heard of one. Which would definitely be reported in the media. One dude had the heart issue...which was a pre-existing condition only discovered because of the rigors of examination initiated when he tested positive.

You're wandering.

I'll stick to Fishindude's post being fear mongering.

Edit: I had no preconceived notions about Covid until I "learned" that a high % of people contracting Covid would die...information widely spread in the MSM and by fear mongering guys like Fishindude back in the March / April time frame.

Serious stuff, absolutely. Everybody that gets it is going to have long term lung scarring...absolute fear mongering.
And you are continuing to be subjective in you assessments and conclusions, based on your own assessment with all its inherent personal biases.

Again, I am impressed that you know the medical histories of 100 contacts/friends. You're still offering subjective assessments, based on your recollections.

Lifelong Lung Damage: A Serious COVID-19 Complication (healthline.com)

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
I'm less impressed with the lung stats and more impressed by the 100 cases. I guess it depends on how you draw the bubble. Careless or just a huge sample size?
We are at 75 (or maybe 80) now at the facility where I maintain an office. Every single one is back to work, except the positives in the last 14 days or so. One person in my cubicle, and 4 in the cubicle next to mine. One of my friends is an auto-tech and was hospitalized for 3 or 4 days. Back to work a couple weeks later. I have no knowledge of a follow-up chest x-ray for him. My friend's 65 year old dad was hospitalized for almost a week with breathing issues. Regeneron got him back up to speed and he is functioning 100% normally again. Again, I have no knowledge of an after Covid chest x-ray. My brother had it. My BIL, his son, and daughter had it. A dozen people in the build shop, CMM lab, and sales office of one of my suppliers had it. Shut them down almost completely for 3 weeks. Another supplier lost about 10 guys in the build shop. I could go on and on. I'm probably well over a hundred if I counted our other North American facilities, though I did hear through the grapevine about a guy from another facility that I don't know that did get hospitalized.

Not one has lingering effects that are keeping them from work and only 2 hospitalized. Maybe you guys want names? SMH

Do a small % of the extremely sick people have lung scarring that may be permanent? I can get on board with that.

But certainly it rises no where near the level that Fishindude was selling with his rhetoric and the linked article that didn't even support another one of his rants.

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
According to the American Heart Association, it can cause serious heart damage, as well.
https://www.heart.org/en/coronavirus
Can cause. Key word is can. Did you know that Covid can kill even young healthy people? Pretty rare, but it happens.

Did you know that ice fishing can result in hypothermia? I know that one issue is not a choice and the other one is, but...just sayin'.

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, in another year we'll know a lot more about the longer term effects. This is just what is known right now. There are plenty of post-covid bodies to study, dead, and alive. And other countries are studying it intensely, as well.

And it wasn't "my rhetoric" that had a Trauma Surgeon in TX reporting that he finds significant lung scarring in most of the recovered covid patients he sees lung x-rays for. He has no idea who I am. He was sharing his first-hand medical knowledge, to hopefully help people understand the potential impact that having covid can have on their lives. Similarly I had nothing to do with the American Heart Associating warning people about the dangers covid poses to heart health.

TK81: Is your entire family planning to volunteer for medical studies, to see why you aren't affected in any way, while others are affected drastically by covid? And it seems really weird that so many people in your family contracted covid. Nobody in my family has had it. Of course we take precautions to avoid contracting it, and spreading it to others.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts