Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't remember where I read it, but the danger seemed to not be in the meat it was in coming in contact with the brain or spinal fluid.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
I am sure that most on here have eaten CWD deer sometime during their life. The ones in the hot zones without a doubt

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I heard somewhere and never took the time to check into it but...

There is an above average number of cases of Crutchfeild Jacobs(?) in the South West (west of Madison if I remember correctly) CWD zone in Wisconsin. This is an area that first had CWD so it's been studied the longest.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
At such a low prevalence rate, the odds are those folks have not eaten CWD positive deer in Michigan. Out west... yeah probably.
I am guessing it is more wide spread than anyone realizes that it is. Only way to tell is have every head turned in from all over the state. I look for this t be in the news for a few years and then dropped out of the news like TB was. It is still there just not front page news anymore. I hope I am wrong

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
I heard somewhere and never took the time to check but...

There is an above average number of cases of Crutchfeild Jacobs(?) in the South West (west of Madison if I remember correctly) CWD zone in Wisconsin. This is an area that first had CWD so it's been studied the longest.
I thought out west had it first. Wrong?

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
I am guessing it is more wide spread than anyone realizes that it is. Only way to tell is have every head turned in from all over the state. I look for this t be in the news for a few years and then dropped out of the news like TB was. It is still there just not front page news anymore. I hope I am wrong
So far the statistics are showing what... 1% ish? With a large enough sample size you can reliably predict the prevalence overall. The average hunter wont kill 100 deer in a lifetime. Give it a few years.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
So far the statistics are showing what... 1% ish? With a large enough sample size you can reliably predict the prevalence overall. The average hunter wont kill 100 deer in a lifetime. Give it a few years.
But how long ws it here before they found a way to test for it ,nobody knows

·
Registered
682 Posts
I believe this is an old debunked study.
I wouldnt say that the possibility of it jumpimg species is debunked. Far from it.

Cruetzfeldt-Jakobsen Disease, which has increased substantially in CWD-present states, may be indistinguishable from CWD. In other words, people could be dying from CWD under the guise of another disease.

The numbers are relatively small, but I'm concerned. To the extent that I've made the decision to invest in my own processing equipment this year. The odds of me shooting one deer, and it being infected are undeniably small. But when I take my deer to a processor....the odds of my meat coming in contact with, or being mixed with a CWD infected deer grow exponentially.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts