Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm working on putting up a tree stand for my father this morning (I know late in the season for that) make several trips back and forth between the barn and woods and on the last trip back up there was this pile of scat right in the middle of the trail... It's got hair and apples in it and was still steaming. What somewhat confused me is this was south of North branch, and as far as I'm aware the farthest they've seen bears as of yet is Bay City.
Vertebrate Blue People in nature Mammal Grass

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't know for sure about ID'ing that scat but black bears have been south of Bay City. One was hit on I-75 near Flint a year or two ago and also had one spotted near Owosso around the same time frame. The only Bear scat I've seen was in the U.P. and it had a ton of blueberries in it and it was a very large pile. Probably 3 times the size of what's in your pic.

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
There was a bear in oakland county about 5-6 years ago. 2 yrs ago in flint along the flint river at I 75. Flushing road area. Also one hit on I-69 about 8 yrs ago near imlay city exit.

That being said it is usually summer time when the mothers kick the 1.5 yr old males out and they begin roaming. They tend to follow river systems in their travels.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Raccoon crap: The poop is often granular looking, segmented, tube-shaped, and 2 to 3 inches long. It breaks easily when disturbed. It somewhat resembles dog poop, except it contains more undigested food, like seeds and hair.

Coyote crap: Coyotes leave tubular scat with tapered ends, often an inch in diameter.

Bear crap: The poop of brown and black bears is similar, although those of brown bears are, on average, larger. If you come upon scat that looks like it could have come from Andre the Giant, it’s from a bear. Bear scat is usually tubular like human feces but larger (5 to 12 inches long and 1 ½ to 2 ½ inches in diameter).

·
Premium Member
12,348 Posts
Raccoon crap: The poop is often granular looking, segmented, tube-shaped, and 2 to 3 inches long. It breaks easily when disturbed. It somewhat resembles dog poop, except it contains more undigested food, like seeds and hair.

Coyote crap: Coyotes leave tubular scat with tapered ends, often an inch in diameter.

Bear crap: The poop of brown and black bears is similar, although those of brown bears are, on average, larger. If you come upon scat that looks like it could have come from Andre the Giant, it’s from a bear. Bear scat is usually tubular like human feces but larger (5 to 12 inches long and 1 ½ to 2 ½ inches in diameter).
Bear crap s tinks like H when your white lab slides in it at 11 at night. Just ask my wife. Poor dgalmost got all the hair scrubed off when he did that every day in one week

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

You know your @#$% !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts