Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a drive down to the montague side of the channel to check conditions. 1 ambulance, 2 sheriff cars and norton shores dive team with boats and sonar equip. I was hoping it was a training exercise but it doesn't sound good. Heard a few things, ill wait to verify before I post them.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

· Registered
3,963 Posts
Sad indeed.:(

· Registered
6,997 Posts
Man, that breaks my heart to hear about things like that :sad:. If it were me, when it is confirmed that, that is what happens, I'd sit my 6 year old down and explain it to him and talk to him about suicide. It's not an easy topic but, in my oppinion, its one of those things people don't talk to their kids about and I think they should. They need to know that if things ever get bad that they are never so bad that they cant get help if they need it. I've talked extensively to my kids about suicide and mental illness. Last year my now 16yo was able to intervene in his best friends attempted suicide because he knew the signs to look for. The kids parents thought everything was fine with the kid and never saw it coming. The kid has gotten help and is doing really well now.

I've had some very close and wonderfull people who meant alot to me commit suicide. It's a toppic that really baffles kids and they often have alot of tough questions. Alot of the time they get at least the concept of death, but not people taking their own lives. This is a good opportunity to gently broach the topic and answer any of your 6 yo's questions. kids are never too young to start teaching them about certain things, just keep it age appropriate ;). Make sure to let them know that they can ALWAYS come to you NO MATTER WHAT. Just my oppinion.

· Banned
2,216 Posts
I hope they find him soon and give his family closer...there is nothing in this world that is so hard that you have to take your own life over..but it was nice to see that the local fishers were able to see him and notice he "stuck out" and had the sence to call the police..that is something you dont see anymore..

· Registered
2,522 Posts
The search team was still looking yesterday mid afternoon. They had a search dog in a flatbottom boat with his team searching the central channel area. They were asking some fishermen to move out towards the Lk MI side so they could start a dive when we were leaving at 3:30 PM Sunday.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The search team was still looking yesterday mid afternoon. They had a search dog in a flatbottom boat with his team searching the central channel area. They were asking some fishermen to move out towards the Lk MI side so they could start a dive when we were leaving at 3:30 PM Sunday.

Yeah they had some horses and volunteers searching the beach also.

· Registered
3,047 Posts
If it were me, when it is confirmed that, that is what happens, I'd sit my 6 year old down and explain it to him and talk to him about suicide.
I agree 100%. Not enough parents talk to their children about suicide. It occurs for at least one student in nearly every high school. Two of the three major high schools in my hometown had at least one suicide while I was in high school. I know of three off the top of my head that occured when I was in high school between 2003 and 2007, and there may have been more. I also know that two of them were related to firearms. My college summer job was maintaining Oakwood Cemetary in Traverse City, which also included doing burials. I have worked there 4 1/2 years, and have buried double digit numbers of suicide victims. Some other improtant topics to discuss with your kids are drugs and alcohol, and also drinking and driving. I have buried a LOT of young people under age 25 for drinking and driving accidents as well as drug overdoses. Needless to say, those are the worst kind of funerals to attend, and no one should ever have to. Talking to your kids saves lives, and that is a fact.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.