Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Positive Changes Taking Place at RGS.
[/COLOR]​
Many of us on this board that are RGS Members, Chapter Board Members, ext, have expressed our concerns with Ruffed Grouse Society's direction or lack there of (including myself). I would like to point out a few of the positive changes I am starting to see.

Many of you saw MS Member Harley P aka Dave Rose in the latest issue of RGS' magazine. It was the first piece I read. If you dig deeper and read the "Directors" column you can start to see some structural changes being implemented by the Director. While I am still skeptical and have an "I will believe it when I see it attitude." It is comforting to see in print his attitudes about cutting the fat so to speak and making RGS a viable responsive organization to its membership.

Overall I thought this was the best Magazine RGS has produced that I have seen.

Any other thoughts or concerns about some of the changes being implemented?

Edit I am work and will "high light" a few things when I get home and have the rag in my hand.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
Overall I thought this was the best Magazine RGS has produced that I have seen.
I thought the same thing.
I am usually finished with each mag in a day or two and I am still picking my way and re-reading some of the articles in this one a week later. Good stuff.

We saw some phenomal growth in our banquet this year and we are getting more active in our chapter.
We have a Fall tune-up shoot planned and will likely do somethings to better organize ourselves before then.
Change is good.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
The shoot is a great idea....I've thought about it a thousand times.

RGS is like a lot of organizations...things get stale after a while. A shot in the arm with some new ideas and some fresh heads is going to do wonders throughout. I think this is true from the chapter level all the way to the National level.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
This month there was an article about buying a pup and what to look for. The comments about small eyes and short muzzles was beyond dumb.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Gotta agree with Fritz and the others above. This may be the best RGS mag issue in a long time, maybe ever:confused:

Looks like the new Ex Director is off to a good start. Lots of solid info on RGS activities around the country. And the "Four Star" rating from Charity Navigator is no small deal- very few Conservation orgs rate this high on putting raised funds to work for wildlife. NWTF is another one I know about.
Good to see.

So I'll say it again- If you hunt grouse/woodcock, you need to belong to the RGS. :idea:

Natty B.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What would the nearest chapter be to G.R. ?
-Gary

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks.
-gary

·
Registered
938 Posts
Fritz:

Thanks the reminder. Earlier I had said that I would rejoin ( I got frustrated with RGS about 15 years ago) and then forgot to do it. I just went on line and signed up.

Hopefully you are correct, and they are indeed headed in a positive direction.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its good to hear that you have joined the Ruffed Grouse Society again. Hopefully more Grouse hunters will join and make it a more effective society.
The pressure of the anti hunting and anti forrest management groups are always putting pressure on the Government to stop us. The bigger we grow as a group the stronger we become.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think everyone may be giving RGS to much credit at this time.
i mean one forest project in michigan and one good magazine dont mean crap to me.
if they want to impress me/or anybody they need more $$ left here in mi and less to pa and mn.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
NATTY BUMPO said:
Gotta agree with Fritz and the others above. This may be the best RGS mag issue in a long time, maybe ever:confused:

Looks like the new Ex Director is off to a good start. Lots of solid info on RGS activities around the country. And the "Four Star" rating from Charity Navigator is no small deal- very few Conservation orgs rate this high on putting raised funds to work for wildlife. NWTF is another one I know about.
Good to see.

So I'll say it again- If you hunt grouse/woodcock, you need to belong to the RGS. :idea:

Natty B.
:yeahthat:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts