Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only gotten out fishing twice this year, only once on Portage. How has the fishing been out there this year? The kids are at the grandparents for a few days and I'm trying to get my wife to go out fishing but she says..."we never catch anything". I don't want it to be another one of those days.

Last year I was able to catch a few 13" - 15" large mouths...thats the best I've ever done on that lake. Had a few Pike too but nothing to brag about. Any tips for catching anything large in this lake so the wife doesn't give up hope?

I usually stick to Texas and/or wacky rigged senco's. What about live baits?

Oh, and if anyone has figured out how to get the walleye out of this lake...please tell.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
403 Posts
Been fishing it for years. mostly in the winter for pike. This time of year you better go first thing in the morning. To much boat traffic. water gets sturred up and the fishing slows down. Have not caught walleye out of there in years. I think the dnr quit stocking them. but talked to a guy at the launch sun says his brother still catches them in the winter :16suspect. there is better lakes to fish in the area.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I'll re-phrase my question then...

What are the best lakes to fish (in a boat) in/near the east side of Jackson Co.?

I would prefer Walleye but any species that I can pull out that are larger than 14" would be great.

I usually hit Portage because its convenient, only about a 10 minute drive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I should change my username to "Can'tFish". We went out to Vineyard and didn't get a single thing Tuesday night. There was a small tournament going on and I seen a couple boats throwing back some decent fish at the end...oh well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts