Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished may 23 in 160 feet of water 50 feet and up at 6:30 am first hour was 3 for 5 then 2 hours of nothing ,I seem to have had that last year also ,how are the rest of you doing .Bud

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
I usually have lines down at 5:45. My hottest time has always been between 6:30 and 9:30. Don't think I've ever had a lull more than 30 minutes during that time frame in May

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I agree with Tom.

Your best fishing times start about 1 hour before the sun rises till about two hours after it comes over the dunes.

And then about an hour before it sets and an hour after it sets.

Of course those are all up to interpretation of the fish.

Like Butch whacks them in the middle of the day.

But the "easy" fish come with the major light changes.

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
I'm all over on this topic. I've spent much of my time launching pre dawn and beating up on fish. Fishing day after day I would always try to get there earlier and earlier since I always seemed to catch fish right away once I set up. Some days I pushed the extreme and starting at 3am would be boxed out with kings well before first light even. No doubt the low light times provide the fastest action, and sometimes the only action of the day if you can't stay on the fish.

Last year we started fishing tourneys and could not even leave the pierheads before sunrise and fishing took on a whole new dimension for me. Many times early am the fish will be higher in the water column making them more fishable, and therefore more catchable. Then as it got later the fish scattered and dropped down in the water column and out to deeper water. Many times due to boat traffic, bait movement, and light penetration in the water the fish moved. Now a program with color strategy and deeper presentations can provide steady action, especially towards mid day when the fish seem to feed again after their morning snack.

We've all seen towards dark too, when the fish magically appear again out of nowhere to feed yet again. They are simply voracious predators adapting to their needs to eat and be comfortable. Putting together a successful program often requires knowing where the fish will be early on. Then adapting a program to many factors like water temperature, light penetration, baitfish type and location, and intercepting them during their movements to successfully target them. Ain't it fun!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts