Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you Port Sheldon veterans have an opinion if fishing slows down considerably out here in the fall. This is my first season out of P.S. I have always fished out of Grand Haven and Muskegon before where obviously the run makes it fun (and tense) in the fall. I'm wondering if there are enough fish around Port Sheldon that are not running to still make for good fishing in the fall. I don't mind making the drive to Grand Haven if I have to but I now live 2 miles from the P.S. Launch so I'd like to keep fishing here in the fall if it doesn't suck.

If anybody has reports from years past that would be much appreciated!

Dave

·
Registered
600 Posts
One of the biggest reasons i put in at portsheldon is that its a closer boat ride than car ride to grand haven if i want to go. There are plenty of fish out there just have to find them. I live in Zeeland and its quicker to put in at PS and go out to the big lake and go to grand haven than if i drive all the way up to grand haven and drive out to the lake there. On the plus side we havent drove up to grand haven yet because the fishing has been great there. Couple of slow days here and there but overall pretty good year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As long as we are on this topic.... I was thinking of fishing GH Wed or Thurs night this week. I am from Kentwood and usually fish out of Holland as it is the quickest launch for me to get to.

On the map it looks like only an extra 10 minutes to get from the Zeeland exit to PS vs. the DNR ramp on lack Mac. I am thinking that is looks like about a 6 or 7 mile run up to GH from the PS pierhead. Does that sound about right?

I may just hang out and fish PS also.

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That would be about right. At this time of year I run from Port Sheldon to GH faster than I can get out the channel at GH. It's all no wake from boat launch on Grand River to the the Piers. Also when I troll back to PS I hit the small cuts that jut out into the lake along the shore. They quite often hold staging fish this time of year.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah that would be right. I live right near the Zeeland exit off I-96 It is quicker to drive the extra 10 minutes to the port sheldon dnr launch than to grand haven. It only takes a few minutes at port sheldon to get to the big lake where grand haven is about a 15-20 minute boat ride because its all no wake.

·
Registered
623 Posts
so do the fish stack up at all by port sheldon piers and pigeon lake.
or is it primarily holland and grand haven.

Ed
pm me

·
Registered
600 Posts
There are fish there. They dont really stack up for a run like grand haven but maybe comparable to holland. The nice thing is its about 10 minutes to either one from port sheldon. You will catch some larger fish that are running. I believe some do run up the pigeon river.

·
Registered
18,330 Posts
Holland is stocked with kings, browns, and steelies. Port Sheldon is not stocked at all. Some steelies stray into it as we've seen them in Pigeon Creek while trapping.

Keep thinking Holland has no run. Maybe not like GH, but I pull 2-3 man limits out of the channel every year.

·
Registered
600 Posts
We catch our 2-3 man limits out of Port Sheldon also. When was the last time holland was stocked? Last i heard it was many many years ago. And the dnr use to stock pigeon river and pigeon creek also but that was 25-30 years ago.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
We catch our 2-3 man limits out of Port Sheldon also. When was the last time holland was stocked? Last i heard it was many many years ago. And the dnr use to stock pigeon river and pigeon creek also but that was 25-30 years ago.
Holland stocking
http://www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/default.asp
Click on Ottawa county, and search by King Salmon. Lake Macatawa gets plenty of fish stocked every year.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks for the info. I thought the dnr was no longer stocking lake mac.

·
Registered
18,330 Posts
Do you pull those limits in the channel and in Pigeon Lake? Not too many kings in there I'm guessing.

DNR just started putting browns in Pigeon Creek a few years ago. Those are not lake run browns, but if they wanted to stray out to the lake and come back, it's up to them.

Point is if you're fishing the harbor for mature fish, Holland is a much better choice than Port Sheldon. Lake Mac will even work on a blow day if the kings are in. Not as good as Grand Haven or Muskegon, but not the traffic either. Rest of the year, it's a coin toss, except avoid Port Sheldon on the weekend of the Coast Guard festival.

·
Registered
461 Posts
......except avoid Port Sheldon on the weekend of the Coast Guard festival.[/quote said:
Yes......Coast Guard festival.....very bad......horrific in fact.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I dont always drop lines in portsheldon. Its just alot more convienent to get to than holland because of the longer drive on lake mac. Its also faster to get to grand haven from port sheldon than to actually drive up there buy car and put in in grand haven.

·
Registered
18,330 Posts
Port Sheldon is a nice little sleeper port. Not so sure about all the new stuff at the launch, drop box and all that.

Usually with Port Sheldon I take the 14' and launch at the dead end across the road from the launch or behind the restaurant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts