Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at the wind, buoy, and radar at 5 and decided to give it a go. 1.3 feet at the buoy turned to 2.4 from the NW by the time we got to the pier head. We enjoyed riding the swells and waves out and decided to fish at least for a while. Slowly made it out to 90 fow a little north and trolled SW the best we could. Fished with my dad, his neighbor who was a Navy man, and his grandson who had never really fished. We fished a 6 rod spread and by the time the rods were set the 285 copper with white slick 8" spinny purple mirage fly started ripping. I got the board in and handed the rod off to my young guest who did a great job reeling in all that line and a nice king. Quickly picked up a lake trout on a white UV paddle UV Oceana fly on the bottom in 95 fow. By this time our kid was getting green and we had already trolled south of the stacks so we pulled lines and headed in. Not too bad for a quick trip with some fresh fish for our guests and the biggest fish this kid had ever seen. Short but very sweet trip. Got a little wet on the ride in and took this pic at the dock.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Way to go Stein! Last couple trips I took my wife she up-chucked--but she was a real trooper for the kids the other day. Love to see those 3 generation family photos. Can't tell who has the bigger smile (Grandpa or son) but I bet it was the guy taking the photo!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Great job! I took my BIL and two nephews out as well, but we started at 4:30 out of Holland. Motored to 120 fow, missed a fish at 140 70 down on a rigger, mag green dolphin. Reset the rod and it went again, another miss. Finally hooked up with a 15 lb king on a glow/black ladder back Jplug 120 back on a mag slide diver. My 10 year old nephew reeled it in (while I held onto the rod) and we barely landed it. Then my 8 year old nephew started to get a little green so we headed in 1 for 3.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Great report, Stein! Thank you for sharing. Although it was a short trip, you created the biggest memories ever for those guys! I bet the kid is still talking about it today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts