Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5/9... Trolled from 3 to 5pm in 20-22’ a short distance north of the harbor. The first 30 minutes was spent trolling north at 3.2mph with Berkley #7 Flicker Shad (Firetail Chrome Candy & Stud Muffin) long lined 200’ back. After 30 minutes I deployed a drift sock and reduced the speed to 2.3-2.5mph and promptly caught a 36” Lake Trout on The Firetail Chrome Candy. After resetting the lines 70-90’ back, I landed a 22” Steelhead also on the Firetail Chrome Candy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5/12...Fished from 4:30pm to 8:30pm in 15-26’ a short distance north and south of the harbor. It was sunny 45° with a 6mph north wind. Tried trolling north at 2.2-2.8mph and south at 2.5 to 3.2mph with Berkley #7 Flicker Shad (Firetail Chrome Candy, Bad Perch, Copper Head, Chrome Clown, Red Tiger) long lined 150-200’ back. I didn’t mark many fish. A couple others reported no catches and marking a few fish in 30’. The big news of the day was the tannish brown scum that would build up on the line and need constant cleaning.
* Your opinions, questions, suggestions, or advise are welcome. *

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
5/12...Fished from 4:30pm to 8:30pm in 15-26’ a short distance north and south of the harbor. It was sunny 45° with a 6mph north wind. Tried trolling north at 2.2-2.8mph and south at 2.5 to 3.2mph with Berkley #7 Flicker Shad (Firetail Chrome Candy, Bad Perch, Copper Head, Chrome Clown, Red Tiger) long lined 150-200’ back. I didn’t mark many fish. A couple others reported no catches and marking a few fish in 30’. The big news of the day was the tannish brown scum that would build up on the line and need constant cleaning.
* Your opinions, questions, suggestions, or advise are welcome. *
I believe the scum on your line was the result of an algae die off that happens each year. I've not caught many fish in that type of water. I'd try and find different water to probe around in...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5/13... Started at 3:30pm trolling in 80 to 100’ a short distance south of the harbor. It was sunny 52° with a slight north wind. The annoying algae slime buildup on the line in 100’ was nearly nonexistent, but the graph was void of fish. At 6:30pm I motored back towards shore, slowing every 10’ depth change to scan for fish which began to appear on the graph in 30’. I trolled diagonally toward shore, continually cleaning lines. I tied on a #11 Flicker Minnow (Firetail Chrome Candy) directly to my braid in hopes it would shed the algae slime better than my fluorocarbon leader. I trolled north and south in 16-20’ at 2.6 to 3.1mph and ran a single rod in hand cleaning the every five minutes. I landed a 26” Walleye. Two day skunk averted!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't get to fish on the big water often, but went out today with a first-timer, showed him a nice skunkeroo. Spent all day scraping that brown slime algae off my lines.... I can't imagine I had more than one fishable line in the water at any given time. Tried from about 25 out to 70 fow up around Forrester, found cleaner water and few laker marks on bottom in 60-70 but no takers. Ran bandits, thin fish, and spoons on short cores, tin can with spin n glow on riggers tapping bottom and even broke out the flasher/fly combo but not even a release.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hopefully they’re out there tomorrow. I need some salmon and trout to eat. Gonna try in the morning, went last Saturday and got nothing but that slime everyone is reporting.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Shallow. I like to fish close to the beach

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the 13th my lure depth stayed at 16’ shallow or deep and the algae was real heavy in 20’ and nearly nonexistent in 100’. Do you think the algae slime wold be less deeper in the water column? I really didn’t consider that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts