Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, took walleyeman out to try for some kings off sanilac. weather forecast was for 2ft or less for thurs/friday.

thursday we got up early and drove out to find 4ft waves capping off out there. so we were forced to run the harbor which is pretty shallow, we did our best with nothing to show for it.

friday we went back for round 2. this time the forecast was right on, dead calm:yikes:
sunday bugsy and I smacked the kings in tight, so we setup shallow and trolled around in front of the harbor, things were dead, so we zigzagged out deeper and found some bait in 45-55 fow. took one laker off the core on a bugsy bait dodger spoon. worked that a bit turned and finally the rigger popped, seemed big and was pulling some line but we were suspicous. got it to the boat and it was a big laker....just as i set the net down to unhook the fish i saw the board with the swr rig fall back, grabbed the rod and felt something putting up a fight! board wouldn't release, but still got the fish, it was a small king on the orange measles.

trolled that area for awhile with no luck except for a few more greasers, threw those back, we've got enough of those..
talked to bugsy on the phone, ask the water temp, i looked it was 44 degrees, he thought we needed to go shallow, so we looped in again with no luck.

finally enough is enough, i decided to troll straight out till we found fish, i was sick of greasers so all lines were set 15-20 feet down, riggers, swrs and long lined bodybaits.
hit 45fow and marked some bait, then the rigger went off, 15 ft down on a slider, cinderella bugsy spoon. fish came up to the top and started to the left before throwing the hook.
kept heading out and all was quiet till we hit 75 fow. swr rig with the orange measles went off again. it was a screamer so i handed it off to walleyeman for a nice fish. dang board wouldn't release again and this fish was pissed! it came out of the water several times, nice 6-7 lb steelie! but it threw the hook before we could get the board off the line.

setup again and turned when we reached 80fow (low on gas) noticed a board fall back and turned out to be another small king on the orange crush i think.

trolled in a turned south and took a coho off a white/pink small burmundy mauler on a board.

so we ended the day with 3 silvers and 2 greasers. lost a few nice fish so i won't complain. i've had much worst. it was an awesome day on the water.

orange measles is on the bottom right for those wondering.
interested in some bugsy's baits, call him at 248-88BUGSY

·
Registered
413 Posts
Awesome report! Good to hear of some pretty good action in the Sanilac area.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
YOU ARE NOT KIDDING ABOUT THURSDAY!!!!! I DROVE UP THERE ON MY DAY OFF FROM PORT HURON ONLY TO SEE HOW ROUGH IT WAS OUT THERE!!! MAN WAS I HOT!! 8MPH WINDS MY ...:rant: , IT WAS RAINING SIDEWAYS AND THERE WERE WAVES GOING OVER THE WALL! FROM WHAT I HEAERD IT CALMED DOWN LATER IN THE MORNING???

Anyway, great job on the fish Mike. Those lakers dont look so good. Big head small body?? Maybe its just me. Have you been seeing large batifish in them?

I might get out tomorrow on Sun. Later Matt

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
was a good day ..thanks again mike........i think we need to make up some pinch pad releases for your boards..6-7 pound steelie or atlantic mixed with a stuck board isnt good....id contact the manufacurer that was bs ..any way..bugsy makes some nice trolling spoons...learned quite a bit,, things have changed a little in the 20 years since ive done that lol...im sure the swr rigs will convert nicely to walleye fishing either with spoons or harnesses.. we actually had 4 lake trout and released two...

any one who wants lakers...if you go out and pound bottom they are there,,,...i think perty much any port is like that...good luck and tight lines

·
Registered
413 Posts
Those lakers dont look so good. Big head small body?? Maybe its just me. Have you been seeing large batifish in them?
I pounded the lakers last fall hunting for LRB's and I got into some really big lakers. It seemed to me once the lakers get over 7-8 pounds their heads look to big for thier body's, only when they get above 15 or so do they look proportionate again...

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
dang seeing these fish make me want to get out fishing.... gas to get there.... gas to get back..... gas to fish..... lack of time off and taking summer classes at state are all kind of hindering the salmon fisherman that lives in the middle of the state haha... oh well... thanks for the post and wish you all good luck and i cant wait to get out there!!....
congrats
-Craig

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
i think it was the camera angle those lakers were fat...very healthy...every fish we have gotten has had fat on it this year...everything has been full of bait too ..wasnt large bait fish in em though 3-4 in shinners no smelt or alewives

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Those lakers look fine, but the coho looks alittle thin.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 1/2 colors of leadcore line with mono on both ends, you let out all the core then attach the planer board to the mono above and let her out some more.
this time of year it's the hot rig.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ausable_steelhead said:
Those lakers look fine, but the coho looks alittle thin.
mostly it was the camera angle and dead fish. in person all the fish were healthy, the silvers we got were small, no doubt but still healthy. the ones we lost were solid fish, much bigger than the ones landed. check my report sunday and you'll see some 8-10lb fish we pulled from there. but they're just eating on the shiners, i'm thinking of using mostly the dodger spoons and see how that works out.

we were debating about going today, but it looks kinda rough. i bet the guys from the tourny are having fun out there today.

·
Registered
610 Posts
limige said:
mostly it was the camera angle and dead fish. in person all the fish were healthy, the silvers we got were small, no doubt but still healthy. the ones we lost were solid fish, much bigger than the ones landed. check my report sunday and you'll see some 8-10lb fish we pulled from there. but they're just eating on the shiners, i'm thinking of using mostly the dodger spoons and see how that works out.

we were debating about going today, but it looks kinda rough. i bet the guys from the tourny are having fun out there today.
do you tie the same length leader as a fly when you rig the spoons with flashers? how about line weight? I use 40# ande for my flies.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
limige said:

These are the days for the piers man! can't beat cold, rough, and windy in the late spring for silver. You can guess where i will be later.:yikes:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
.,.yep i was on the peir last night had a few follow ups and one crushed spawn bag that was it...

those fish all had fat on em...taking a picture after 12 hrs of fishen in the dark like that didnt do em justice lol

ill be out tonight unless its breaking over

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Baydawg said:
do you tie the same length leader as a fly when you rig the spoons with flashers? how about line weight? I use 40# ande for my flies.
i tie my leader from fingertip to elbow, 18-22" and use 40-60# mono. (i have 60# ande myself)

·
Registered
610 Posts
limige said:
i tie my leader from fingertip to elbow, 18-22" and use 40-60# mono. (i have 60# ande myself)
Thank you.

You and I ought to get together and troll those kings up sometime.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anytime we get some decent weather i'm game! just shoot me a pm.

mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Spoons are nice. I met with Bugsy last week and purchased a set. Nice looking finish, chrome plating on backs of spoons, red hooks & stainless steel rings....... He fishes them really short behind the balls. Runs a soecific program...... I'd like to fish with him to learn more.......

I also ran into Busgy at the DNR launch Port Sanilac Friday evening late. He was just coming in. I dont know how he did. It was late and he was trying to get the boat out of the water.......

We fished for less than an hour Friday night after installing an auto pilot on the boat, testing and calabrating the unit. We picked up 2 lakers in no time at all.

We didn't fish the BWC because we lost 2 of our crew last minute on Friday. So we just fished for fun Sadurday and went 7 for 9, 6 lakers and 1 king. It was an enjoyable day on the water......... Looking forward to fishing the Holiday weekend......

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
In this last tourney, in order to place you needed all 9 lakers all about 8 pounds and bigger and 3 kings 5-10 pounds. I fished on Fisher of Men and we came in 11th. We prefished 2 days and ran a program that put lakers in the boat. We had a good time, lots of fish and I had a fish on that was probably 20 pounds or bigger.... but I lost it. I never had a fish pull a rigger rod down like we snagged a rock. This fish came up to the spoon, grabbed it and stayed on the bottom and never came up. The 2 color got tangled in the line and she broke off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts