Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished Port Sanilac Sunday morning. Goosebustr79, Lil' Tanker & I along with a friend not on MS. We started in 70+ feet of water straight out from the Harbor, worked out into 90+ feet of water...... not one bump..... Decided to work in some into less than 50 feet and fish some old early spring marks and got into the fish. anything Blue/Chome was working.... got fish on the riggers, lead & the dipseys........ Went 14 for 16, 11 Lakers, 2 Steelies & a Coho..... What a nice morning on the water........
[/IMG]

·
Registered
292 Posts
Nice job on the fish. Blue/chrome seemed to be a hot bait for some on Sat as well. Too bad I didn't have anything like that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice job. Got to get out on Huron soon but its so hard to lerave the walleye in the SCR. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Your camara always makes me look heavy Gary.

Wait that is any camara, thanks for the great day on the water.

I through one of those lakers on the grill last night and it tasted mighty fine.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I have nothing against lakers, I think they make good table fare. But what happened to Hurons spring king fling? It's starting to look the Elvis has left the building... again. :sad:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Troy:

Glad to have you. You young ones did a great job setting lines, changing up spoons & netting fish.... I was just driving the Boat..... Being at the helm with that Auto-Pilot makes a huge differance keeping the boat straight..... I have a couple of those Lakers in the Brine getting ready for the Smoker..... I also have a Steelie in the oven for dinner tonight......

·
Registered
622 Posts
It was great to be out there again yesterday. We haven't got to fish a lot this year yet but we have been successful everytime out thus far. Our program is coming together. We might have to go westside and give her a whirl with the King's. Troy, I don't think that green shirt compliments your figure! Try black it is more slimming.:lol:

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Looks like you guys had a good day, I agree those lakers aren't bad table fare, in fact, smoking them like you said, is very good, I have a little left in the fridge from a trip earlier this month.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to fire up that Bad (Smoker) Boy tomorrow. I' haven't used the Smoker in a few years..... I dug out the old recipe and have a couple of those Lakers in the Brine...... I hope that they Smoke up nice so that we have smoked fish for the weekend.....

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Looks like you had a good time on the pond. Ryan (Chuckinduck) has a dynamite brine for salmon and lakers. Maybe he will be kind enough to post it, if not I'll find out what it is!:evil: Nice work on the fish.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Brine;
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 gallon water
2 sliced up apples (I used oranges last time)
3 crushed bay leaves
6-8 bulbs of whole allspice
1 cup maple syrup
Brine it for 24 hours. I then dump out the brine and let the fish get to room temperatue, (usually about an hour) and while I do that, I soak my wood chips in the remaining brine, then save that brine and use that as my liquid instead of water. Seems to work good.

Cooked the lakers at 200 degrees with hickory wood for 2.5hours, came out excellent. This isn't a salty recipe, I'm not a big fan of super salty smoked fish, more of sweet flavor. Try it, I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chuchinduck:

Thanks for the Brine Recipe...... I'm with you, I don't care for the Salt either.... The batch that just came out of the Smoker is more salty than I like..... I'm going to try yours......

Thanks again....

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
wishtofish, its a good recipe and easy to make, the beauty of it is, most of the stuff you always have in the kitchen, so no running to the store. Let me know how it turns out. Greasers might not fight to much, but I'd rather pull them out of the box then a bag of half frozen ice. :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chuckinduck said:
Brine;

Cooked the lakers at 200 degrees with hickory wood for 2.5hours, came out excellent. This isn't a salty recipe, I'm not a big fan of super salty smoked fish, more of sweet flavor. Try it, I think you'll like it.
I assume that you are using a water smoker.... My Water Smoker is electric, I've never checked the Temp..... The gauge on the cover has Cool - Ideal - Hot...... It normally gets into the Ideal Area.... I'm going to use a Thermometor to check it next time........

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep:

Mine is a Brinkman, it has 2 racks, A Large Charcoal Bowl for BBQing & a Smaller Bowl that holds water during the Smoking process...... I have a little metal pad that I put soaked wood chunks on that sits on the electric element....

The unit itself is Stainless Steel...... I thought that the Stainless would weather better...... I've had it for many years......

I've purchased the few items needed to use your brine..... I'm going to smoke a batch the first of the week....

I'm headed up to just North of Port Sanilac tonight (My 2nd Home)...... and then on to Harbor Beach in the morning. My Son-N-Law (Goosebustr79) is looking at a boat up there for a friend...... We may try to get a few hours in later in the afternoon back in Port Sanilac......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts