Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Everyone,
Heading up to Port Austin on Thursday for 1.5wks. How's the fishing out of grindstone or port austin been lately? Should I even bring the boat?

Thanks for the help,
Brad

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Went out of Grindstone last Sunday/Monday hit the walleyes about a mile or so out out in 22-30 ft. Didn't exactly slam them but everyone was catching fish. Heard of some guys getting limits.

·
Registered
420 Posts
We just got back from a weekend camping/fishing trip at PA. Got blown off the lake due to NE winds. Good news was, yes they had been doing quite well on the walleye--crawler harnesses, body baits and worm burners. Follow the pack west about 6 miles to 20-30 fow.

The big surprise though, and I hate to give other people's fishing reports, but the Kings are showing up at Grindstone. Word is that they are doing good numbers from 80 to 160 fow straight out of harbor.

I would launch out of Grindstone for targeting either though. PA's private launch was difficult to say the least...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
We just got back from a weekend camping/fishing trip at PA. Got blown off the lake due to NE winds. Good news was, yes they had been doing quite well on the walleye--crawler harnesses, body baits and worm burners. Follow the pack west about 6 miles to 20-30 fow.

The big surprise though, and I hate to give other people's fishing reports, but the Kings are showing up at Grindstone. Word is that they are doing good numbers from 80 to 160 fow straight out of harbor.

I would launch out of Grindstone for targeting either though. PA's private launch was difficult to say the least...
Hey now... I like that GS report. I think were going to shoot out of HB and head to PH and work north this Sun. Give me a shoot on the cell when you have 2 minutes.

Ben

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Well ill definitely give it a try when I get a chance. Been itching for some salmon to smoke!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Had lines set before sunrise at grindstone today. Caught a walleye right out of the gate on full core in 110FOW. No kings boated, but I had a smoking line burner before it managed to separate the hook and split ring from a pro-king spoon. I have no doubt that it was a good sized king. Walleye action was slow. Finished with 2 walleye and 2 steel.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sweet. What did the steel come on?
I had three hits on a clear J30 jet diver (75' back from board) w/ small blk/purple silver streak. All three fish came out of the water but only managed to boat one. The other steel came on reg. size wonderbread silver streak down 50' on the rigger. Nice 5-6#er's. I was trying for walleye and I left the area cause the steel kept hitting my lines. If one wanted to focus on the steel, today was the day in 70-100' FOW off grindstone.

Really only one other boat worked that same area and I seen his net go in the water a few times.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
I would like to get out there focus on steel with the riggers down probing for a stray king. If I could boat 3-4 steel it would be worth it. Maybe target the eyes before calling it a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts