Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm curious as to what pop up blinds you all are using and the pros/cons to them.

I've never had much luck with pop ups and it's been a few years since I've had one. Last one had most of the support rods broken from the wind. I'm hoping to take a bird with my compound this spring and figure I better try a pop up again if I'm to get to full draw.

I'm hunting private so able to leave it over night if need be, but being mobile is always a plus and it would be a welcome addition to the toolbox for deer this fall.

I appreciate any feedback you all have, can't wait to be back in the woods chasing and interacting with wildlife!

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
I am sure that others will chime in with some good suggestions. I hunt turkeys with a selfbow & sometimes a shotgun, & I have never ever owned or used a pop up blind. They can be a bee-yotch to draw on, but with me it's draw & release when the opportunity arises. I usually try & find natural cover (ie: a circulating bunch of close-together, small, pines, etc.).
I have nothing against pop up blinds, I just personally do not like them. I am a kind of a "minimalist".

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure that others will chime in with some good suggestions. I hunt turkeys with a selfbow & sometimes a shotgun, & I have never ever owned or used a pop up blind. They can be a bee-yotch to draw on, but with me it's draw & release when the opportunity arises. I usually try & find natural cover (ie: a circulating bunch of close-together, small, pines, etc.).
I have nothing against pop up blinds, I just personally do not like them. I am a kind of a "minimalist".
I've got some camo burlap and thought about just setting that up in some brush and sitting behind it. Might give that a try the first couple times out. I like the idea of the pop ups, just never have had much luck with them.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my opinion, it doesn't matter, anything will work. Turkeys aren't nearly as suspect of pop up blinds as deer are. As we know, their eye sight is incredible, but their brains are tiny. They will definitely key in on any movement before they pay attention to any blind.
That's good to know, I've only taken one turkey before in my life and that was from under a pine tree with a shotgun. I've bought the cheap entry level blinds before which is probably why I didn't have any luck with them. Figured if I was buying again I might as well get something decent I can use for both deer and turkey.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
I've got some camo burlap and thought about just setting that up in some brush and sitting behind it. Might give that a try the first couple times out. I like the idea of the pop ups, just never have had much luck with them.
Just be sure & practice shooting your bow sitting down the same way you'd be sitting in your blind. If I can find what I described above, I stand in the middle of the circulating , small pine trees & I usually shoot while standing. I practice a lot sitting down, but my accuracy can be "iffy" unless I am standing about 90 degrees from my shot. I wish you & everyone the best of luck (& skill) this spring!!!
Bird Nature Organism Natural landscape Biome

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Curious what your plans are for the blind if your success has been without one? I started to use a blind to boost archery success and to film for a short time but felt something lacking. I missed sitting outdoors and the ability to move quickly on gobbling birds.The blind will keep you in the woods longer especially during bad weather and will increase your odds of a bow kill but I don't think they increase gun kills much.For awhile I was blinded by the blind but got back to basics and hunt turkeys.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I'm not trying to hijack the thread because it's sort of related but what time does everyone go sneaking out to their blinds? Is it like deer, well before first light or is it a dawn type of thing?

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I have this one, too. Not quite as nice as the Bone Collector, but ok for the money. Windows are set low and in odd positions. Otherwise it is virtually identical to the other one.

I used it last Dec for deer. Popped it up and hunted, then removed it, each time. Was noisy to set up but I had does/fawns within bow range twice on public land (different days) and killed one with a shotgun on private. Definitely helped that morning it was -6F on the thermometer!

Font Rock Pattern Circle Bedrock

·
Registered
947 Posts
I hate sitting in a blind but last year I finally was able to pull my compound again after several surgeries. Since I can't pull as smooth now I decided to try a blind. I got a cheap ameristep doghouse blind and really like it. I carry it and if I get on a gobbling bird I just throw it up and get in. It probably isn't as good as a hub style for durability if you leave it up in one place but to carry and stay mobile I find it works great .It is quick to put up and not as noises as those hub style. I can open and have it up in less than a minute and quietly . Plus If you don't stake it you can slowly move it towards a bird that hangs up !

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I'm not trying to hijack the thread because it's sort of related but what time does everyone go sneaking out to their blinds? Is it like deer, well before first light or is it a dawn type of thing?
We prefer walking in under the cover of darkness. Maybe not "Eberhart" early, but if you can see them on the roost, you're probably late. Don't take my word for it, though, I am just an opportunistic turkey hunter -- not a serious one!! ☺

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I like well before light more important before fly down. A lot of varibles if you have to set up the blind -say on public land and how close the bird is -as well how much have the trees leafed out to cover movement. I believe you want to be set up early to get a good count of toms in your area, the pre dawn set up gives the best chance to hear gobbles before they leave the roost.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
We prefer walking in under the cover of darkness. Maybe not "Eberhart" early, but if you can see them on the roost, you're probably late. Don't take my word for it, though, I am just an opportunistic turkey hunter -- not a serious one!! ☺
This is my first year trying but in the fall I'd see them at any time of the day with the bulk if the sightings being mid afternoon, but getting up early is no problem at all.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.