Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday before Memorial day my Minn Kota Terrova wouldn't turn left or right but would go straight and in reverse. I had fished Wednesday and it worked with no issues.

First thing Friday I called Minn Kota and they said it was the board or the motor too turn left and right, or both and recommend taking it to an authorized service deal and Strykers in Beverton was the closest. Called them and they said get it in ASAP so they can look at it and get parts ordered.

Following Thursday I called and they still hasn't looked at it. They called me later that day and said the board was bad and they ordered a new one.

Following Friday they called and said it was fixed. Cut my pre fish for the Linwood Classic short and went too get it. Brought it home and the motor still wouldn't turn. Called Strykers and they said they tested it on 12v and it worked, even though its 36v. Asked me to bring it back with the boat on Saturday. Took it back, board was fried again, replaced the board, tested on 12v, worked. Plugged it into my boat and fried the board.

Service manager insisted it was my boat even though we had 39.6v at the outlet, wanted me too leave the boat and motor so he could troubleshoot the boat. I told him to fly a kit, it wasn't my boat and had too be the motor. Said he'd order another board and if it fried again odd have to pay for all the boards.

Monday I called Minn Kota, they stated they should have been testing it on 36v and they should have replaced both according to their service manual. Talked to the guy in charge of the autherized service centers. He was VERY helpful and offered to call Strykers and explain to them how to do their job and he'd overnight the correct parts too them. Today I had too call them too ask them if they received them, hour later I got a call back saying they did get them and they would be done ASAP, four hours later I called them, couldn't get ahold of the service dept, owner of Strykers had to go see if it was done and I was able too pick my motor up right before they closed.

I WILL NEVER BE GOING BACK TO STRYKERS AGAIN!

·
Registered
634 Posts
That sounds just about like them. I had my steering cable break a few years ago and called to see how much they would charge to replace it, some insane ridiculous amount so I just bought the part my self, got it all hooked up and the gears we're wrong. Took it back to strykers and asked if they we're going to do anything to make it right since they sold me the wrong part and they just laughed at me so I told them to just give me my money back.

Couple weeks ago I ordered a $3 plastic part for the canopy rail from strykers said would be in a couple days, called two weeks later said with the holiday be a couple more days. Called 3 weeks later said the part was never ordered and they would call me right back when they got it figured out, that was a week ago.

I know I shouldn't keep going back to them but I just live down the road from them and it's all their really is

·
Registered
141 Posts
I took my boat in to LBM the first week of April and did not get it back for 4 weeks, all I had done was an oil change and install a VHF radio, it was 3 hours of work that took a month, never again.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I took our boat to a few place right around here in saginaw to have a new gps graph put in, everyone said a month it would take before they could get to it. I called lindy's they said a few days dropped it off later saturday they called me monday a 2:00 pm said it was done. they did a great job as always . and had it back in time for the opener of walleye season that was that saturday. This happen this year

·
Registered
141 Posts
Last year when I called Lindys for service the lady that answered the phone would not even connect me with service, she said they were to busy. I went some where else, apparently they did not want my business.

·
Registered
693 Posts
OOooh. Having four boats and fishing Lake Huron for over 36 years now I have had a rare complaint with my marina in Au Gres. Two issues that were corrected to my satisfaction within very reasonable time. Good mechanics and great service. Guess I am lucky after reading these horror stories.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I was very satisfied with the service I got last spring at Saginaw marina. (right on the river south of 46) It wasn't cheap, needed an ignition control module and a couple sensors. They fixed me up in just a couple days and she hasn't missed a beat since. One trip to the shop and fixed. I don't have time to screw with my boat when it's time to fish, so a good job is worth a few bucks to me.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
For the time spent, and aggravation, you could have hauled your boat to Tawas, and had Jerry's Marina do the work. They have serviced several boats for me over the years, and they are good at what they do. Not sure if they are a Minn Kota authorized dealer. If not, I am sure someone in Bay City is.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was very satisfied with the service I got last spring at Saginaw marina. (right on the river south of 46) It wasn't cheap, needed an ignition control module and a couple sensors. They fixed me up in just a couple days and she hasn't missed a beat since. One trip to the shop and fixed. I don't have time to screw with my boat when it's time to fish, so a good job is worth a few bucks to me.

I too was very satisfied with service at Saginaw Marina a couple years ago. I had taken it in to another place twice and they weren't able to correct the issue. Saginaw Marina got it done as quickly as promised and there hasn't been a problem since.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For the time spent, and aggravation, you could have hauled your boat to Tawas, and had Jerry's Marina do the work. They have serviced several boats for me over the years, and they are good at what they do. Not sure if they are a Minn Kota authorized dealer. If not, I am sure someone in Bay City is.

Strikers was the closest authorized dealer to him...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts