Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
22,550 Posts
That is why I am so against taking head or neck shots, IF that is what caused this. The chances of a bad wound, leading so a slow death are very high with those shots.
I'm guessing he may have got in a fight or hit by a car? If you zoom in he's also missing a lot of antler on one side. Either way he won't survive.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm guessing he may have got in a fight or hit by a car? If you zoom in he's also missing a lot of antler on one side. Either way he won't survive.
Quite possible but I have seen such wounds from gunshots. I have shot a deer with a fatal neck wound. I killed it on the 3rd day of the season. It would not have lasted much longer.

· Registered
6,073 Posts
We found one like that years ago. His bottom jaw was hanging on his neck. We were going to the house when we found a blood trail across our road. Two of us went to watch the better trails and Dad took the track. It came out to me and I killed it. I wasn't sure if it was a buck or a doe until I got to it in the swamp grass. It was a buck and he was a mess. I hope I never see another one.

· Registered
2,787 Posts
Good luck and don't be surprised to if his antlers fall off soon. I've had 2 bucks with injuries that lost their rack within 2 weeks of the injury. One survived and the other disappeared so I have no clue what happened.

· Registered
284 Posts
Yep, that's a deer I would hunt. I hope you don't find out it was some idiot trying a headshot.
Broken right antler and broken jaw would be pretty indicative of trying to occupy the same space as the drivers side headlight of an oncoming Toyota Tacoma smashing their brakes to get it down to 25mph.

· Registered
2,787 Posts
Broken right antler and broken jaw would be pretty indicative of trying to occupy the same space as the drivers side headlight of an oncoming Toyota Tacoma smashing their brakes to get it down to 25mph.
I didn't see the broken main beam so you are probably correct. I just feel bad for that deer and I've been around people that think head or top 2 inches of the neck is a deadly shot.. too many variables and a slight mistake is devastating to the animal.

I'm hoping Thill can take this deer out quickly.

· Registered
1,819 Posts
I know this stuff happens. My brother in law hit one in the face one time. Not on purpose he pushed the range of his smooth bore slug gun and made a bad hit. We did manage to track it and make the recovery. It super sucks. Hopefully someone can manage to end this boys suffering. With the reverence we all show for these amazing critters really hate to see that.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
I would say it's unlikely a firearm injury - simply because of two obvious trauma - jaw and antler.

It could have been a vehicle - or it could even had a tree fall on it. My uncle had a picture of a deer that screwed up and impaled itself on a sharp branch on a downed tree.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts