Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is really the right place for this, but it is about my beagle.

We have a 7 yo female beagle that is always eating poop. Was just her K-9 brother's, but now her own too and last year she picked up a parasite from (I'm guessing) squirrel poop. She was getting into the cat boxes also, but some STERN dad-to-dog talks, with a friendly reminder now and again, cured that.

So now I'm thinking muzzle (if I can get my wife to put it on the dog EVERY time). I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this problem? Or maybe someone can recommend a muzzle or points on sizing one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I'm so sorry I can't resist... you might want to send her to the deer hunting regulation debate forum, she'll have all she can eat.
I unfortunately have no valuable input, so I wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sometimes if they are eating their own poop it is because there is too much protein in their food. I had a black lab that just loved cat poop, it was disgusting, but she kept at it until I changed the cats food .

·
Registered
18,754 Posts
Use great caution,there are things you can add to there food, the care full being sure it won,t harm your dog(s).

It takes the appeal out of the taste.I,m not pushing this,just an example,other products exist.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Solid-Gold-SEP-(Stop-Eating-Poop)/140110.aspx?click=47609&s_kwcid=TC-4434-5492840518-e-367045029&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product%2BVendor-Brand&mkwid=ZjXAFxTA&crid=367045029&mp_kw=stop%20poop%20eating%20in%20dogs&mp_mt=e
we have lots of dogs ,its not unusual .

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
We were told that it's a deficiency in their diet. But now I can't remember exactly what the vet told us it was. (It was our last dog)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
We were told that it's a deficiency in their diet. But now I can't remember exactly what the vet told us it was. (It was our last dog)
I was told it was because there weren't enough nutrients in their food. Not sure what has to be added though.

·
Registered
26,591 Posts
There's a poop deficiency in his diet. :lol:

I have a deer, squirrel and rabbit poop testing one too. I laugh when he kisses his mom.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
We had a chow that ate poop... we put Tabasco sauce on all the poop piles in the yard and daily we would put more Tabasco on the fresher piles... he only ate like two more poop piles then he quit...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
I was told it was because there weren't enough nutrients in their food. Not sure what has to be added though.
This. When we upgraded to a higher quality (=expensive) food the problem went away.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Pick up the poop. Remove the opportunity.
:yeahthat:

This is the best answer.

You can try all sorts of different remedies. They may work or they may not. I've got a Pointer who has stood sniffing them as they came out of one of my other dogs and then proceeded to eat them steaming. :banghead3 Not sure how you stop that when you aren't looking.

I have, however, noticed that this becomes more of an issue in smaller yards. At least with mine. If they have a bigger space to run and poo in they become less apt to snack. I think they decide to "house clean" when a smaller yard fills up.

·
Premium Member
12,302 Posts
Pineapple Juice on the food for those that eat their own.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
We had a chow that ate poop... we put Tabasco sauce on all the poop piles in the yard and daily we would put more Tabasco on the fresher piles... he only ate like two more poop piles then he quit...
You walked the yard and poured Tabasco on the poop? You bent over and shook it out. Really? But you didn't pick up the poop. Hmmm.....I'll bet rockets don't fly because of the work you do every day. :D

Typical response for the real response, "I don't have a freekin clue."

This. When we upgraded to a higher quality (=expensive) food the problem went away.
I have two dogs that turn around and eat their own processed Purina Pro Plan Performance. I know you can spend more on a bag of food but this Pro Plan is high end food. Then we have the 15 year old that loves deer poop. Never ate another kind of poop (though he loved to roll in lot's of different poop) but to this day loves his deer poop.

Stop reading right now if you are weak. A setter I had, when we were camping, snuck up behind whilst I was pooping in the woods. I don't think it hit the ground. She never ate her own or any other poop. We couldn't bury it deep enough.

My point? Get over it, they eat poop, nothing stops it. Some of you reading this pick your nose and eat it. Your Mom hates it, but you still do it. :sad: Laugh.................dogs eat ****.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
You walked the yard and poured Tabasco on the poop? You bent over and shook it out. Really? But you didn't pick up the poop. Hmmm.....I'll bet rockets don't fly because of the work you do every day.

It worked didn't it? Sure you can pick up the poop but that won't prevent the dog from nearly licking your ass when your in the woods.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Had a beagle and two Labs. Deer, goose , cat , and like the other guy even human . They all have been caught snacking, just remember that when they are licking your face. Have an E-collar dog now going to get lit up.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
You walked the yard and poured Tabasco on the poop? You bent over and shook it out. Really? But you didn't pick up the poop. Hmmm.....I'll bet rockets don't fly because of the work you do every day. :D

Typical response for the real response, "I don't have a freekin clue."

I have two dogs that turn around and eat their own processed Purina Pro Plan Performance. I know you can spend more on a bag of food but this Pro Plan is high end food. Then we have the 15 year old that loves deer poop. Never ate another kind of poop (though he loved to roll in lot's of different poop) but to this day loves his deer poop.

Stop reading right now if you are weak. A setter I had, when we were camping, snuck up behind whilst I was pooping in the woods. I don't think it hit the ground. She never ate her own or any other poop. We couldn't bury it deep enough.

My point? Get over it, they eat poop, nothing stops it. Some of you reading this pick your nose and eat it. Your Mom hates it, but you still do it. :sad: Laugh.................dogs eat ****.
Um, OK ...... that's certainly one way of looking at it. 😘

·
Registered
556 Posts
ha ha ha, great thread
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
442 Posts
A couple of years ago I had a dog that was throwing up blood which turned out to be a bad virus. However while giving vet at Wilson's veterinary all the details that may have contributed to illness I mentioned that the dog often ate stool when the opportunity was there. His response, "There's one sign I want to post in our lobby, "Dogs eat stool. Get over it!". He went on to say that the reasons for the "habit" are many and varied but rarely the cause of illness.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Try feeding the dog bananas, like 1/2 of one with food. I've heard it is a potassium and or phosphorus deficiency. It worked for my three, with the exception of some deer poop. Over the years we have switched to higher quality food. Costco has the "cheapest best quality" dog food we could find. But they still eat a little banana daily and don't eat dog poo anymore.
Pete

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm with Bobby. We had a beagle that ate her poop. We tried everything - putting stuff on it, changing her food nothing worked. Its unrealistic to think you will go around following your dogs around each time they poop.

Once a poop eater...always a poop eater. You won't stop it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts