Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was in the same situation and will be picking this up in a couple of weeks! I loved the boat that I had but when adding my wife, kids, grandkids, etc. it was way too crowded when taking everyone out. These are set up for fishing as well a family time.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
A 22-24 footer with a 90 hp on the back will push you about 20 mph. That’s enough to pull some little kids around in a tube or two, but probably not enough as they get close to being teenagers. The same size boat with a 115 hp probably will be enough, but top speed will probably still be under 30 mph. A 150 hp will get you more speed if you need it, but there’s not much of a reason to go bigger than that unless you want a big, fast pontoon.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have a 25 ft with a 50 hp. You can pull a tuber, but not fast! For just putting around the lake, it's great at around 1600 rpm (maxes out around 5500 or 6000 I think).

For fishing, I mounted a bracket on the front (so I can easily slide a trolling motor on and off) and got a trolling motor and a 12 v Deep Cycle battery. The calculator on the minnkota site recommended an 80 lb thrust motor which ran on 24 volts. I decided I wasn't going to get two batteries, just one. That would limit me to a 55 lb motor. I found a 50 lb thrust motor in Cabela bargain barn and bought that. It works fine. HTH..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a 2 year old, 20' Lund in a fish/cruise configuration. 50 horse Merc tops out at 17 mph. I've pulled the little ones on a tube with it...

The tri-toon option with a bigger motor might've resulted in more exciting tubing for the kids, but my primary goals were fishing and cocktail cruising. The 50 idles right along at around 1.7 mph, which is perfect for lake trout trolling. A tank of gas lasts for weeks...

I've also got a 24v 80# Terrova ipilot mounted up front, with a Solix at the helm, which helps keep me pointed straight when fishing solo. Winds are the biggest PITA - pontoons present a large cross-section, and speeds/steering can vary widely when the breezes pick up. Otherwise, I have TONS of room to scatter fishing crap about...

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Best thing is that it's parked 50' from my doorstep - I can be fishing in minutes with a fresh cup of coffee before the sun comes up!

·
Registered
746 Posts
In 2019 I bought a Misty Harbor 22ft that was set up for fishing. It has a rod locker, live well and a fish graph. The graph was a Piranha max 4, I replaced that with a Helix g2 side scan.
20200625_145503.jpg
20190417_170620.jpg
20190704_105154.jpg
20190417_170630.jpg

The pontoon originally came with a 60hp 4 stroke Mercury but I changed that to a 90.
We do alot of cruising with the kids and grand kids so I always have at least one stick bait in the water.

·
Registered
746 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention, there is an outlet built in on the front for an electric motor and it came with a plug to hook to the electric motor for that outlet.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
A 22’ Qwest tri-toon with a 115 on the back will do 34 mph with three full sized adults on board if you have the correct prop installed.

It isn’t a Nautilus ski boat, but it goes plenty fast for tubers and basic skiers.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
A 22’ Qwest tri-toon with a 115 on the back will do 34 mph with three full sized adults on board if you have the correct prop installed.

It isn’t a Nautilus ski boat, but it goes plenty fast for tubers and basic skiers.
That's pretty good. The newer triple log configurations act a lot more like a traditional hull than the two log designs.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
That's pretty good. The newer triple log configurations act a lot more like a traditional hull than the two log designs.
Agreed. The modern tri-toon design has completely changed the game as far as performance. I’ve been associated with the industry for 30 years now, and the innovation has been impressive for sure.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My BIL works for a commercial concrete contractor,When i picked him up at the storage building of that business i
could not help but notice the Pontoon(tri-toon) in the building a beautiful craft with 2 400hp Mercury,s..I'm betting it will pull tubers quite easily.I dont know brand ,but impressive to say the least...

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
My BIL works for a commercial concrete contractor,When i picked him up at the storage building of that business i
could not help but notice the Pontoon(tri-toon) in the building a beautiful craft with 2 400hp Mercury,s..I'm betting it will pull tubers quite easily.I dont know brand ,but impressive to say the least...
Spend some time looking at the Lake of the Ozarks Shootout on youtube.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check the different brands and their prices, they are all fairly similar. Either 2 jump seats in the rear and lounge in the front or jump seats at the 4 corners.i went with a Lowe sf212 with a 115. I can get 28 by myself if I remember correctly. To go to a 150 required hydraulic steering and a third log, all total was another 10-12k.
One thing lowe didn't have that I would have liked is wash down hose.
I would recommend the raised platform for the captains area. The 2-3 inches is well worth the height.
If you are ordering be prepared to wait. The wait for mine was double the normal and that was april last year. I understand some manufacturers aren't even taking orders. Good luck. Any specific questions, feel free to ask. I searched for probably 3 weeks pretty solid before making a decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts