Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished converting a 24 ft pontoon boat into a mobile duck blind. Looking for input from those who have also done this. I will be hunting open water on Saginaw Bay for divers weather permitting.
Should I anchor the bow and stern? How difficult is it to retrieve ducks? (don't have a dog)
Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
956 Posts
That thing looks awesome. I would think retrieving would be tough. Get a l-o-n-g handled net. Rough days bow only anchoring for sure. Calm days bow/stern, with a joining line connecting them, with floats on all 3. Easier to grab the joining line. Pick your days I guess. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Looks like a nice set up! The down side to the pontoon blinds is picking and setting g
decoys and bird retrieval.
A lot will depend on your crew and if they have a clue about what you are trying to accomplish.
Good luck!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Get some GOOD anchors as it looks like that thing is going to catch quite a bit of wind.....

Looks like an awesome time!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
We always would tie a decoy to the anchor rope(s) and use a extendable painters pole with a single coat hook fastened to the end . It is more crap in the boat but it’s a life saver . You have a very nice setup. Be safe and have a great season

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
Since you have the room bring a small kayak for getting birds.

My kayak is affectionately known as "the dog" for just that reason.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Would it be legal to use a trolling motor that anchors your waypoint to a specific gps coordinate?

Or is that technically under power... lol

·
Registered
956 Posts
Since you have the room bring a small kayak for getting birds.

My kayak is affectionately known as "the dog" for just that reason.
Climbing into a kayak, in open water with waves, with waders on? No thank you. Sounds incredibly dangerous.

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
It's a bit of a trick, yes. But I'm guessing there's days out there they boat can handle that anything shy of a sea going kayak would not...

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've got a pontoon blind (no motor) for sale. Roof. The front wall breaks the wind. Custom anchor system with 70' of crane cable. Sebewaing.

P.M. me.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Maybe a helpful tip - prior to season, put the blind in the water for a couple of days to determine if the pontoon logs leak. I say this as on Monday I pulled in a partially submerged pontoon blind that has one of the logs fill with water. The owner had just newly acquired the blind and although the seller confirmed that it had no leaked in the past, the blind had set for several years.
View media item 121687View media item 121685

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
We build one...back in 77 used barrels. It was a floater blind but the size of yours.

We built it high enough to side a 12 footer under the floor. Dad and his buddies built it....they used engine blocks on one inch cable for an anchor.

We had it on lake Erie just west of Little Cedar point. We..we loved it and shot lots of ducks...then, we had a bad north easter ( might have been the one that sank the Fitz ??? ) Well it blew it onto the the rock dyke....end of story.

But it was AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input. I definitely will keep an eye on the weather/wind. I like the idea of attaching a float to the anchor line so I don't have to pull anchor every time we retrieve a duck. Saturday and Sunday is looking like it may be too rough unless I can get some protection from the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
976 Posts
Check your pontoons where the brackets are welded on top. Lots of older 'toons out there are failing in that area. Might save a little bit of heartache later on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts