Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new water hole in this week. Probably too close to the future home to be a good hunting spot but I'm pretty sure the deer will be using it in the heat of the summer. The neighbor's pond 100 yds away gets deer traffic in the summer pretty good when they need water.

Either way, the pics show the building process at several steps and show some of the ins and outs of what goes into such a project. Only time will tell what effects (if any) it has on the deer movement on the property. Not expecting much but exited to see what they think of it.

Steps before to midway:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Pond ???? More like lake build !! Very cool. What kinda fish u throwing in there ?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bluegill, bass, and catfish tend to do really well together with this kind of set up. That would be pretty easy. I'm thinking a cool water fish set up with perch and walleye world be fun to try. They recommend not to mix the cool and warm water species tho. I'd like to try rainbows which is iffy but I am around 21 feet at the deepest so they might be able to survive. I'll need to come up with a plan by spring.

The stone is to prevent erosion. I would prefer a more natural look but river rock trends to roll down hill over time. I had deer tracks in the beach today so they are already starting to check it out. I'm thinking the deer would shy away from the angular limestone so I may make a deer access on the side away from the house down the road. (Good thing I tied deer into this! I was afraid of getting ripped)

I'll keep track of the deer sign for sure tho. I truly am curious as to how they will react. The pond is in a spot I routinely found HUGE tracks crossing the field year after year. At night no doubt.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Were you gonna add a pond aerator? Im assuming the pond is fed mainly by runoff? Continuous bottom aeration is 85% of keeping a pond clean especially if you want to swim in it. Good luck.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good Gily. Did u hire someone to do it for u or did u do all the work.
Yeah had this one done for me. Two dozers and two different kinds of grader / pan vehicles. There was a ton of dirt to move in the pond itself as well as the final grade. I don't have the equipment, skill, or time for that kind of work. I hired the Jeff Sturgis of pond builders to come in and do it professionally. Needed this one done right.

Were you gonna add a pond aerator? Im assuming the pond is fed mainly by runoff? Continuous bottom aeration is 85% of keeping a pond clean especially if you want to swim in it. Good luck.
Yeah, I think we are going to do that. I know a couple of people with the windmill type aerators and they bubble nicely. I think I'll go with the electric version tho so I don't have to deal with the clankity clankity.

·
Premium Member
30,897 Posts
Beautiful!

·
Premium Member
14,395 Posts
Bluegill, bass, and catfish tend to do really well together with this kind of set up. That would be pretty easy. I'm thinking a cool water fish set up with perch and walleye world be fun to try. They recommend not to mix the cool and warm water species tho. I'd like to try rainbows which is iffy but I am around 21 feet at the deepest so they might be able to survive. I'll need to come up with a plan by spring.

The stone is to prevent erosion. I would prefer a more natural look but river rock trends to roll down hill over time. I had deer tracks in the beach today so they are already starting to check it out. I'm thinking the deer would shy away from the angular limestone so I may make a deer access on the side away from the house down the road. (Good thing I tied deer into this! I was afraid of getting ripped)

I'll keep track of the deer sign for sure tho. I truly am curious as to how they will react. The pond is in a spot I routinely found HUGE tracks crossing the field year after year. At night no doubt.
Looks great!!!

Would you need to have a pond cooler for trout?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Speaking from experience, if I were in your position I'd be putting the lines for the aerator in there before the water. My wife and I get along famously, honestly never fight...except two times in 15 years. For some reason we couldn't stain the trim for our house without wanting to gauge each others eyes out, we farmed it out to save our marriage. Putting the lines in the pond from our canoe was also challenging, surprised one of us didn't end up a floater. Also, if you can swing it, pay for weighted line.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Speaking from experience, if I were in your position I'd be putting the lines for the aerator in there before the water. My wife and I get along famously, honestly never fight...except two times in 15 years. For some reason we couldn't stain the trim for our house without wanting to gauge each others eyes out, we farmed it out to save our marriage. Putting the lines in the pond from our canoe was also challenging, surprised one of us didn't end up a floater. Also, if you can swing it, pay for weighted line.
Oh, I hear ya! I about had to give my lawyer a call after a discussion about cutting down more trees to move the house 15 feet further away from the pond. JK but I know the struggles of a manpower intensive job like that might be more strain than we can bear. Getting lines in now would be well worth the effort. I've seen friends have to deal with getting aerator lines back down to the bottom after they come loose too. Talk about a good way to end up a floater. I'll have to check into all of that pretty quickly here. I'm sure there is a lot of good practice documented out there about pond design and care.

Awesome job! My pond was 25 feet deep and rainbows did really well.
That's encouraging, I'm sort of wishing I left the peninsula out to let the dozer cut the sides a little deeper but 21 should still stay pretty cold. Rainbows are at the top of my list then. Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nice pond. I was wondering if putting in some pea gravel beds in the shallows will give the fish a place to spawn instead of just in the mud?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right now I've got a nice layer of sand in the shallows. Might not be bad for spawning. Wouldn't be surprised if pea gravel makes it in there at some point. Most of the banks are kept real steep to keep algee from growing tho. One section of shallows for beach and spawning.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
To weigh the line I cut up some thick re-bar into 6" lengths and zip-tied it along the length of four lines. We also welded some boxes to set the aerators into and attached small, long chains. I then attached duck decoys to the chain in case I ever needed to find them later, that is if they stopped working for some reason.

Obviously the line comes in a spool form and you simply can't get that curl out of it. So we're trying to paddle out away from the motor on shore all the while the darn air line(s) was trying to pull us back because the curl! You just couldn't go in one general direction and drop the line as you went....and we had the box/aerator units attached at the end of each line adding to the fun times.

I don't know that I could possibly convey how frustrating that day was in words, you really had to witness the folly. Oh, and eventually the decoys popped loose and no longer mark any of the units. Our pond is decades old and I wouldn't want to swim around in there, ever. The only maintenance we've got going is the aerators, it's mucky, a fair amount of weeds and still a bit stinky. Going to be a pain if I ever need to get them out of the water.

So, again, make the time to put the lines in while you can walk them from shore to the exact spot you want them to live.:) That looks like a great pond you've got going, you'll really enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts