Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a 6 point 40 yards away when in the heavy wind opening night a beautiful mature michigan 8 point snuck behind me at 12 yards. By time I noticed him i really didnt have a shot (damn branches) He went right in the corn and paid no attention to that 6 point. He didn't know I was there. I did a couple of suttle grunts to no avail. What is the poll that I'll see him again.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Maybe, the thing about mature bucks is you never know what they are going to do. The good thing is you didn't spook him so you're still in the game.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If you got an ample supply of does in the area, he'll stick around. Can't say for sure you'll "see" him again, but he'll stick around. The peak rut is a few weeks off yet, but you can bet the boys are starting to check things out and establish some area's. Sneak in and try some real light sparring with a set of rattling antlers. Just clink them together a few times at about 5-10 minute intervals, then glass the field. Basically, try to simulate two bucks sizing each other up.

Who knows what you'll see, maybe he wandered into that field and got his ass chased back out by "Grandpa Buck". Good luck!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You say a "Nice 8pt" which probably means 2 1/2 year old deer. Deer, especially younger deer, are creatures of habit. He has probably been walking that same route for a month or so now to get to the food source and will continue with the same patern until:
1. Food source Changes
2. Spooked significantly by you or another hunter(person)
3. Does come into heat and all bets are off
4. You put an arrow through the boiler room.

Get back up there and shoot him next time

Bob Urban

1 - 8 of 8 Posts