Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

If the Opening Day of the firearms season was split so the U.P. would open on one day

• Hunt Both

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Hunt Only One

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • Hunt Both if It Was a Sat.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Hunt Only One if It Was a Sat.

Votes: 1 1.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the Opening Day of the firearms season was split so the U.P. would open on one day and the L.P. would open on another day what would you do?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I did not vote as I am not really sure what I'd do. When there was a split before, I hunted only the U.P. Back then I rarely hunted the L.P. Now, I might be tempted to hunt both openers, but doubt it. Still, I might....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Where do I vote "No"?

·
Registered
35,738 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see the correct answer. I did not vote.

The only way to properly have a split opener is to have DMU/zone specific buck tags. Include a different colored back tag to make enforcement easier at a glance.

Muzzleloader season in the lower third of the state coincided with the UP to reduce UP hunter numbers. Why put more pressure on a herd that is already below goal numbers? Maybe we should have a split opener in the lower only.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I'd hunt them both. It would be like 2 xmas mornings every year

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
I'd manage my time so I could hunt both openers. I hunt both the UP and LP now. Regardless of where I'm hunting I'm always using discretion and letting far more walk than I shoot, but I think there would be more pressure put on the UP herd, which it probably cannot withstand.

As it is now a hunter has to choose his opener and hunters get disbursed around the state, a split without restrictions would concentrate hunters in smaller land masses and put even more pressure on public lands as hunters without private land privledges will want to enjoy a double opener.

I'd take advantage of the split, but would not be in favor of it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Living right on the MI/IN line, and having hunting property in IN, I hunt both state openers. If I lived north, I'd probably hunt both openers there, too.

Arch

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
My hunting property is in the NWLP. I wouldn't go to to UP even if they offered a free buck tag. Besides, an earlier UP gun opener would be the same time as the prime rut bowhunting time at my hunt camp, which I would never give up.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
If I recall correctly we've been there-dun that. Don't see it recurring for reasons of past experience,and others expressed here.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I didn't vote because I sincerely hope it would only happen if you had to make a choice...we just can't stand the additional pressure from hunters in the U.P. and too many would love to have two opening days....just wouldn't be appropriate.

Make hunters choose between one or another...sounds great!

·
Registered
606 Posts
farmlegend said:
"No" is not a possible answer. The question was prefaced with the word "if".

If you simply do not like the idea of a "split" opener, that's another matter.
Thanks for the clarification;) . I was joking. But you're right....I don't like the idea of a split opener.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sorry I can not vote. I simply do NOT want nor wish or desire to have opener for anything other then Nov 15th.

To me Deer hunting is about traditions that have been set forth with the family and friends over the years. To change this is just like saying Oh heck lets NOT go to uncle Freds this year and hunt after all there may be a couple people there and the deer numbers are not what they used too be.

I know every year its the same thing some people want it changed because it dosn't fall on the weekend and or the days they have off. Well I say TOO BAD it eventually changes days over the years and if you can not get it off then call in sick. We up North consider this day more of a holiday than Christmas or Thanksgiving and if you can manage to take the days off for them then you can find a way too manage deer season opener if you want it.

Earn your vacation time and or wait until you are of seniority to be the one to take it while others are refused it. This is another symptom of "I want it now" that is one of the factors that is wrong with this society.

For those who work and live in the downstate areas. I know this is a very serious gripe amongst a good number of hunters. Bottom line you made the decision to live and work there. ( Not saying it isn't the best for you for home and money and job wise but it was your decision) so accept there are consequences to every decision made in life.

I even expressed it too Rodney, and he stated he does not seeing this change as that is the strongest sticking point that Michigan Hunters have made their oppinions clear about over any other. The Hunters of Michigan have made it clear to the DNR through surveys that Firearm season WILL be NOVEMBER 15th-30th. For that I am very greatful and thankful that the majority will continue to hold sway and such for the forseen future.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I am part of the dieing breed that goes to the NLP for a week and a half (new rule: starting next year, two weeks like our camp elders did it when they were younger) and stays the whole time. Plus, I have a flexible schedule when I want/need one so I would hunt both.

I too like the November 15th opener based on tradition and I seriously doubt the touted gains of moving the firearms season to a later season hunt would materialize without shortening the Firearm Season as well; which is an ideal that I adamantly oppose!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I posted this poll because of the discussion in Bob's thread in the DM Forum. The thing that surprises me is the fact that as I write this only 52 members voted.

I'm not a big fan of polls on these boards. Too many of them are superfulous/have no relative point. I've been fishing a couple of times this week.....and it's good.....so maybe that will temper my "poll craze". Although...............that idea of moving the firearms opener away from Nov. 15th to some other date might be interesting. However, I'd better not be the one to start it one of our mods.....I won't tell ya his name but he LOVES pike and musky fishing :lol:.....has a real thing about polls...he strongly dislikes them and if he sees that I've started two in the past two weeks he'll let me know about it........:lol:

Farmlegend is correct! There is no option for "No".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts